Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am looking for a heavy duty 60" ZTR mower and was looking for your advice. I have contracts with several banks to do all the foreclosure properties that they have in the area. Many of these properties has grass that is waist high and many times we cut large areas.

I went to see a scag turf tiger with a cat diesel today...14k...what do you guys think? looking to hear what the more experienced folks have to say...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just did 5 acres bush hogging shoulder high and higher weeds with a 52" Wright Stander.

I couldn't find a freakin' bush hog anywhere in town and the one I did find broke down.

I didn't want to do it but, i was on a deadline.
I also maintain a bunch of empty lots that get waist high before I get there. Just take your time and they'll do the job.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I forgot to tell you that I was at my Scag dealer today, and he quoted me $9999 for the
61"Tiger w/35 a/c Briggs. It was some kind of promotion. Also check out the videos on the Ultracut web site on the left side of the page. Never used them but they look awesome.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I forgot to tell you that I was at my Scag dealer today, and he quoted me $9999 for the
61"Tiger w/35 a/c Briggs. It was some kind of promotion. Also check out the videos on the Ultracut web site on the left side of the page. Never used them but they look awesome.
That's a good price.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Scag TT Cat diesel, but at 14K their pricey The Bad Boy AOS Cat diesel's are priced $2,000 less, and the John Deere 997 31Hp Yanmar diesel & 7-iron deck is $13,000. Out of the three diesel ZTR's I kept going back to the Bad Boy AOS 35hp Cat diesel its an impressive machine, and is the spec sheet king IMO. I would take any one of the three, and would go with the best deal on price in the end.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
I'd recommend not getting a ZTR and get a Toro 328-D. They're very good at that kind of work.
It'll cut with the deck a foot in the air. Very good for knocking off the tops of weeds, then just keep lowering the deck till you get the finish cut.
The drawback is it don't fit your requirements. It has 4 wheels, a 72" deck and weighs a ton.
But it'll chew thru stuff you couldn't walk thru. The side discharge deck cuts once then discharges. Very little balling up.
It's the mower I use right after a field is bushhogged trying to convert it into lawn. It'll grind thru the clumps of thatch and even cut the edges and corners where the bushhog couldn't reach.
Then on the next customer's lawn use the same mower on the front lawn. It gives an excellent cut.
I've had a contract mowing repo'd farmsteads for Farmer's Home Administration. It's the mower I used.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The velocity plus on the Scag would be awsome on those high weedy properties. Also you ever heard you get what you pay for. Look at warranty,resale,reputation,etc. Your not going to go wrong with the Scag and that 35 briggs is a good price also.:usflag:

·
Registered
188 Posts
$10K for a machine like that is a very good deal. Lets not turn this into a Ford vs. Chevy thread. Blevins has a good point, getting what you pay for is a heavy factor. Look at the BIG companies in your area and see what they run. Different machines are better in different areas, on different turf. Most of these osts are opinions, and most of these guys ride what they praise, I am one of them. All of my fleet is red, and that will never change. Reputation, reliability, construction, and cut quality will far outway cost in the long run.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.