Need opinions on landscape estimation (I'm new here)

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Andrew615, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Andrew615

Andrew615 LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I am not new to landscaping, but the majority of my experience has been focused to Lawn Care. I still have difficulty forming estimates for landscape jobs.
    If you guys wouldn't mind, I want to list the details of a job I just did, and see what you guys would have charged for the same job.

Here are the details: (job was done by me + 1 employee who I pay $17/hr)(listed hours include total man hours between the two of us)

5 man hours for moving a stone path
    16 man hours spent on weeding, pruning, trimming. (very large beds that were very neglected with lots of bushes and plants)
    Customer wanted cedar mulch. Had to use bags since no place offers bulk cedar around my area. We spread 150 bags of cedar mulch. each bag of mulch cost me $4.37 after tax.

I am very interested to see what you guys come up with. I am hoping I didn't over charge or under charge too much. I used some of the forums on here to come up with some of my rates for this estimate.

I am also posting Pictures of the job to give a little reference. keep in mind there are 4 medium sized beds that are not shown in the pictures.

Thanks!

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

2. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

Based off pure numbers there I would have been around $2100.
    about $1,100 cleanup and another $1,000 mulching including the bags.

I don't know how much time was spent mulching but we get roughly $40-45/yard in labor here, usually bulk here though.

Mulch would have been 11.5yds based off a 2cu ft bag size, around here I wouldn't have gotten quite that price but mulch is cheap here in bulk.

3. OP
    OP
    Andrew615

Awesome, that gives me some peace! That is actually very close to what I charged them. Thanks for the reply JeremyKuhn.

4. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

2090$ for one days work

150 bags of mulch - 640 bucks
    Equipment fee - 200/ day
    Labor, taxes and material markup is another 1200 or so. I dont wanna advertise how I calculate all that.

5. OP
    OP
    Andrew615

When you say equipment fee, what are you referring to?

6. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lot of overhead costs for my work.

F550, dump trailer, mini skid, attachments, laser level, concrete saw. The list goes on and on.

I charge 200$ a day to be anywhere. This covers my equipment costs.

7. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

$2460 ish.

Cedar Knoll Lawn Care likes this.
  8. Scagget123

Scagget123 LawnSite Member

That's nice work

I got a lady who wants this over grown grass knocked down and bagged, before Saturday. I have a scag 36 belt drive and Tamara trimmer. I was thinking 75-100$ for the job. That puts me around 25 - 30$ an hour. Do you think this will hurt my mower.

IMG_20190128_180759217.jpg

9. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Use a string trimmer on it first, rake it back some then mow over it, don’t charge less than $150

hort101 likes this.
  10. Scagget123

Scagget123 LawnSite Member

Thanks. I didn't mean to steal the thread but this is the only place I saw to post something similar