Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2006 Dixie Silver Eagle 60" w/ 27hp generac and it has just under 100 hours. Mower seems to be in very good shape, according to a friend. I am going to look at it tomorrow, and I need to decide if the mower is worth having. I did a search and found some decent info, but was wondering if any of you can offer any additional help.

1) What is a fair price to pay?
2) Is the generac a good long lasting engine?
3) Is the Silver Eagle Dixie considered commercial or more for residential?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the exact same mower. If you have very many properties with slopes I would advise against it. It does not handle hills well at all. I have not had any problems with the generac other than it does use oil, so you have to keep an eye on that.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I would think that is a residential mower. We run the Extreme Dixie Chopper's, good mowers but bad dealer support. Going to be changing to Exmark or Scagg.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a "Rip Off" price for a Silver Eagle. The Silver Eagle series is the entry level line for D.C. Better find another dealer, he is about $2000.00 too high compared to prices at our dealer here.
Oh, I just called the only dealer in my immediate area and he said that $8300 was the retail for a new 60" Silver Eagle. The unit I am looking at is for sale by an individual. However it is almost new. I just don't know how much they depreciate. Now that I have done a little more research, I see that they have the Silver Eagle labeled as Residential/light commercial. I am beginning to think I may not want this unit. I may still get it if the price is right. But I just don't know what a "right price" is for the unit. In other words I want a bargain since it may not be exactly what I am looking for.
All the sites are vague about specs like deck thickness, etc...So, I don't know how much quality is sacrificed from the Classic model to the Silver Eagle. I hate these decisions. I am still going to look at it tomorrow and then make a decision. Any other input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I saw one like you are looking at that was for sale on another forum. Asking price was $4500.00, and he had no takers.
ZTR's depreciate about like new automobiles. After you mow one time, they lose 1/3 or more of their value. A one year old ZTR, with low hours, should sell for about half of the new price as a rule of thumb.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
In 06, they were advertised as residential machines. now, the D.C. Website shows them as entry level commercial, or top-of-the-line homeowner.
For light duty, part time commercial use, they might be ok. For day in and day out mowing, they will not last long.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to look at it today, but have not made it yet. I don't want it if it will not last. I do have another Exmark Lazer Z HP, so the Dixie would not get all the use and abuse. But the 'ol exmark is getting some age on it, and I know that soon I will have to start dealing with some down time for repairs on it. If this Dixie is residential I don't want it. I feel it would cause me more aggravation trying to save a little money. I just still have trouble believing a home owner Z could cost $8,000 new. For that price it has to be much better built than these residential Zs you see and Home Chepo or Lowe's. But like I was saying, I see no information online about the thickness of the deck or what differences there are between the Silver Eagle and the model that is above it.
Another point is if the mower was priced at a very good deal it would have already been sold. I know the guy has placed it in the classifieds. I also know he is itching to get rid of the mower because he has to be out of his house by next weekend. So, any large equipment he has must be sold or he has to pay for storage. I thought of offering a very low amount and see if he takes it. I hate dealing with this crap.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
If it may become your primary mower in the future, then I would pass. I have owned some of the heavire built D.C. machines in the past. I have read a lot about the problems the Silver Eagle series have had ,when owners try to use them for commercial work. A good price, will not make up for the troubles you may have to suffer through in the future, with this machine.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Dixie might call it homeowner but they also say there competitors are homeowner mowers too! If the silver eagle is a homeowner than so is the Scag wildcat Exmark lazer Bobcat Hustler Z and Grasshopper mowers!

Look at it closely I am referring to the 60" for a general guide!

Same frame design as the bulk of all commercial mowers!
Same wheel motors as the hustler super z
Same cc pumps as most all competitors
Has a hydro cooler not available on most competitors
Same mower deck as used on the Extreme Dixie Chopper
Same electric clutch used buy everyone
Has Springer forks standard on it
Stainless Steel body
Lifetime warranty on the frame and body and forks
27hp engine standard. With Donaldson filter hydro cooler std.

All I am saying is look at one up close before calling it a homeowner unit because if you compare it is very comparable to any of the pro units out there!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really appreciate the info guys. I may still look at it just to see for myself. However, it is about 35 miles away, so I don't really want to waste my time or fuel if I am leaning towards not buying it. I will report back when I decide. Thanks again for the insight because I have never even seen a Dixie up close and have no clue.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
If you do not have a local D.C. dealer, then do not buy it. Parts for D.C. machines are not as commonly available aftermarket as parts for Exmarks, etc. Also, about the only place you can get Generac engine parts are at D.C. dealers. Generac parts are very hard to find elsewhere.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good engine, hate the mower, I demoed out a XK2503 which is a little bigger than the silver eagle and couldnt wait to get back on my trimmer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.