Need Solar Dock Lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, May 11, 2019.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Silver Member
    from usa

Anyone aware of a professional quality brass solar dock light? The best I could find was a product by Lake Lite with anodized aluminum which they rate as marine worthy. It comes with replaceable batteries. Color temp options are limited to either 5K or blue :(

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

it is a sad thing no one has (to my knowledge) exploited this segment.

Mike M likes this.
  3. Night Owl

Night Owl LawnSite Member

"quality" and "solar" seem to be having a hard time playing together unless you can really spend big dollars on a remote panel/battery setup. There's a mountain of rubbish solar lights out there, and everyone has probably noticed, no one is even bothering to put makeup on them by manufacturing them out of anything other than plastic or pot metal.

Mike M, Jimmy Turks and BrandonV like this.
  4. Jimmy Turks

Jimmy Turks LawnSite Member

I have access to the best flush dock light on the market, but it isnt solar.

Mike M and BrandonV like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Mike M

from usa

I guess that Lake Lite product will have to do. At least they are sensible enough to have replaceable batteries. Seems like they were motivated to have a half-decent product made for the application. Probably could be made better, but these can be easily replaced when something better comes along.

6. Jimmy Turks

Don't install that stuff. At least get resourceful...
    1: Auroralight has a replacement for their compass fixture.
    2: Focus came out with a new flush mount fixture last year that will do the job. It does use a remote driver which will be fun to hide and keep dry, and the remote driver produces a TON of RF noise (blocks FM radio transmissions, I kid you not) but it looks pretty...
    3: I do have a company working on putting my dock light into their production line up, but it will be some months before it is ready for market.

Mike M and BrandonV like this.
  7. Jimmy Turks

Mike I just looked at their line up... you are looking at stuff that makes between 10 and 20 lumens each, and there are no specs on what the color temperature will be. My bet is 5500K to 6500K. These will look just awful. Surely you can find a way to run a 12/2 cable onto that dock and install some proper wired fixtures? Even if your transformer is 500' + away it is doable with a multi-tap and the right math.

starry night likes this.
  8. Night Owl

Night Owl LawnSite Member

Touchstone Lighting has a solar dock light as well. Made of plastic and doesn't look to be anything special either - does have a 3 year warranty which seems bold

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

glad to hear. it's not somthing i got to use on every project but still is one of my favorite fixtures. just worked so well and made so much sense.

10. OP
    OP
    Mike M

from usa

James, how would you recommend lv cabling for a series of floating docks linked together and held at pilings? The easiest thing I can I can imagine is to channel cables through flexible conduit. But having copper wires perpetually moving with tides, river currents, and waves, reminds me of my f-150 door harness fail. Lol.

I will look at everyone's suggestions. Thank you!!