Need some advise on geo fabric for pavers install.

Endgame88

LawnSite Member
Hi everyone. I’ve always gotten a wealth of information from this site but I can’t seem to find the answer I’m looking for. I’m installing brick pavers throughout my backyard but I’m unsure of what geo textile fabric to buy. I’m ready to install the base layer but want to make sure I use a good material for soil stability/separation to avoid future issues down the road. I’m working with clay soil if that makes a difference in recommendations. I’d also like to know what people in the south are using for their base layer(crushed concrete, limestone, decomposed granite, etc...). Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

m_ice

LawnSite Senior Member
Which geo does your supplier sell? They would be the best local source.

Hopefully you don't say whatever HD is carrying that week...

OP
Endgame88

Endgame88

LawnSite Member
You called it! I’m not interested in the cheap over price weed fabrics the big box stores sell. Everyone I’ve spoken with has said it doesn’t matter, just buy the thickest material you can afford. I’m ok with buying on line but reviews can be hit or miss. I’m currently eyeing a roll of SRW NW6. Can I get away with the 4.5oz? Should I go heavier then 6oz?

OP
Endgame88

Endgame88

LawnSite Member
We can get some pretty heavy down pours here in North Texas. I’ve been told to use non woven because the clay soil here drains very poorly. Can I use woven?

Jimmythegreek

LawnSite Member
I use srw ss6 also. My supply house has large rolls of 12x26 or something like that. Overlap your joints well and tension it the best you can. Not sure what type of crushed limestone above mentioned but you need graded material that is 3/4 down to dust. Often called road base, crusher run, DGA, 5A, etc. Never use stone dust under pavers, not for sub base or for beddding. Only concrete sand for bedding, but some manufacturers are OK with fine stone it's like 1/8" pebbles. I don't care for open graded material under pavers I only use poly sand I want to sheet water off not flow thru my pavers and base