1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

need some aerator tines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by carcrz, Apr 30, 2008.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone know where I can get some aerator tines for a project? I'd like to add double the tines on my Ryan aerator. It pulls the cores it has now just fine, but more is better when you are overseeding. That way I can just go over it once.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Go to your dealer, but they run around 8 bucks each.
    So maybe go over it twice anyway heh

3. carcrz

Ouch. What are these things made of? I wonder if could just buy some tubing, sharpen the ends, & then weld them onto a mountable plate to hook to the aerator shaft?

4. topsites

Yeah it IS outrageous, I get fussy just anytime my aerator loses one and I don't see it falling off LOL...
    I think they're made of plain steel, bunch of crooks in that business if you ask me.

Just another one of those things to do with BS :laugh:

I tell you another solution:
    Aerate in the fall as usual...
    And then again in early spring.
    So twice a year vs. once.

I've done this a number of times and it does work.

5. carcrz

I do that on the properties that will allow me to, but the reason I am wanting to do it is for over-seeding. I seem to get better results when I double aerate & overseed instead of just aerating once then over-seeding. My thought is that I can price it out as a double-core aerating, but actually only need to do it once because of twice the tines. I will probably set it up as a permanent deal, so they will get double the cores regardless, but I think it could be a selling feature.

6. topsites

Yeah I do know if you use a Walk behind it does a better job.