Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Homeowner here looking for some advice...

I have sold my 17 acre Tennessee property that I have cut with a Scag Turf Tiger for years with very few issues.. The new homeowner bought my Scag from me...therefore I need a new mower ..

We are moving to NE FL (St John's County, just south of Jacksonville) to a smaller 3 acre property. This property is a mini-farm with a house, garage, driveways, small barn, chicken coop etc. Some open areas of grass and some small fruit trees that I will need to carefully get around. Plenty of larger trees on the property so there will be leaves and tree debris. No gates to squeeze through... I'm unfamiliar with cutting this type of grass (Bahia perhaps, maybe some St Augustine?). It's Florida and flat as a pancake..

I'm looking for a good mower, not a piece of junk, but don't want to overbuy. I want something with serviceable transmissions and pro features. I imagine a 61' deck is too big. Do some models cut this type of grass better than others? What is the sweet spot in light commercial market?

I have a 12 year old son that will soon be using this mower, need to make it something he can use as well if possible. My budget varies, $5k to $11k perhaps, just want the right fit.

Thanks in advance ..

·
Registered
18,940 Posts
Do you want to sit or stand?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would wait until you get down there, and see what are the best dealers in the area. I like SCAG, but certainly would consider another brand if they had a good dealer near by.

SCAG, Exmark, Hustler, grass Hopper and others all make great mowers.

With three acres and almost a year around cutting season I would still be looking at a commercial mower.

·
Registered
18,940 Posts
I have a 48 Bradley stander, 2 acres here, now grant you I have only used it 3 times in the last year.....pretty dry....good mower though and cheap around 5,000

·
Registered
18,940 Posts
Find out what's available down in FL close to where you will live...

Reactions: sidemouse

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, if your SCAG performed and was reliable (mine certainly is) why not do it again? If you are concerned about overbuying, get a Tiger Cat. It will be just fine on that flat ground. They are available with 52" decks if the 61" is too large for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you were happy with the Scag then get another one. I'd recommend a 61 tiger cat for that size, or even a 52 if you can't find a 61. Nothing cuts Bahia like the velocity deck. I have modified my Ferris deck and it's very close to the Scag cut.
In my search I keep going back to that Tiger Cat....the velocity deck and Parker wheel motors would be hard to beat. Would you recommend Kawasaki, Yamaha, Briggs, or Kohler power ?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a tiger cat 2 with the 52 in deck and Kawasaki 26hp EFI.

I jumped up from a Patriot because of the better deck and better wheel motors.

If you cut a lot of Bahia, get the dealer to move the front baffle up.

·
Registered
18,851 Posts
Scag tiger cat , Ferris isx800, jd 915 are high quality entry level commercial mowers.

These would be my top three picks.

My personal property is 2.5 acres turf. I mow it with a 52 isx800. Very pleased so far. Ride is fantastic.

Turf tiger seems like overkill for 2.5 acres.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The Badboy Maverick HD with ZT-3400's and Honda EFI 27hp looks good on paper. Any thoughts on them?
I have no personal experience with them, but the general consensus is that they are not as tough as the others mentioned.

Once again ... as others say frequently ... the dealer makes a lot of difference. Getting reliable and efficient service is paramount no matter what you buy.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts