Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like the Scag the best of your posted options, also agree is most HD of the bunch. GH sounds to be great option as well, maybe would ride a little nicer if that is a consideration for your son? With the Bahia, I would choose the one with fastest blade tip speed.
Scag machines may be hard to find but their Orange Kool-Aid is still readily available (by the pallet).

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Hello,

Homeowner here looking for some advice...

I have sold my 17 acre Tennessee property that I have cut with a Scag Turf Tiger for years with very few issues.. The new homeowner bought my Scag from me...therefore I need a new mower ..

We are moving to NE FL (St John's County, just south of Jacksonville) to a smaller 3 acre property. This property is a mini-farm with a house, garage, driveways, small barn, chicken coop etc. Some open areas of grass and some small fruit trees that I will need to carefully get around. Plenty of larger trees on the property so there will be leaves and tree debris. No gates to squeeze through... I'm unfamiliar with cutting this type of grass (Bahia perhaps, maybe some St Augustine?). It's Florida and flat as a pancake..

I'm looking for a good mower, not a piece of junk, but don't want to overbuy. I want something with serviceable transmissions and pro features. I imagine a 61' deck is too big. Do some models cut this type of grass better than others? What is the sweet spot in light commercial market?

I have a 12 year old son that will soon be using this mower, need to make it something he can use as well if possible. My budget varies, $5k to $11k perhaps, just want the right fit.

Thanks in advance ..
I've read through this thread and I think you can see from the comments you would be better off flipping a coin to choose a mower. What works best for one person may be totally opposite for another.

When saying you've had a Scag mower for a very long time with very few issues, I would think Scag would be your mower of choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I've read through this thread and I think you can see from the comments you would be better off flipping a coin to choose a mower. What works best for one person may be totally opposite for another.

When saying you've had a Scag mower for a very long time with very few issues, I would think Scag would be your mower of choice.
I'd be happy with the Scag for sure....but is it worth $2k more than the GH? That is what I have to decide...

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
I'd be happy with the Scag for sure....but is it worth $2k more than the GH? That is what I have to decide...
With the engjne option you mentioned for each, the answer is NO. I am a Kaw fan, but no way that 22 is in the same league with the 28 Vanguard. On top of that, you will have to look hard to find much bad posted about a GH machine anywhere on the net. No doubt there is at least a few that have had some issue with one, but they are the vast minority.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Scag, Grasshopper, Gravely, ANY of them will likely outlive you if maintained properly. I highly doubt that you'll wear any of them out doing residential upkeep on 3 acres.

As has been said ....... the DEALER should be your main concern. FWIW

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Scag = Tri-Plate deck construction results in a nearly 1/2" thick (0.485") steel cutter deck top.

I have an old 7 iron that wore out at the spindle mounting area. I had it reinforced, but it's also a 15 year old mower so no complaints here.

I've got hundreds of hours on 7 irons and velocity decks and while I can't prove it as fact, I feel that the scag decks are heavier and stronger than the 7 irons. That's just my opinion. I won't say absolutely that it is or is not stronger than the 7 iron, just what I have personally experienced.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Y'all are probably getting tired of my indecision, but I do truly appreciate all the feedback from everyone..

At the last minute I found a new Tiger Cat with a 48" deck and the Yamaha 27HP engine, it's $9761, the best price I've seen on a Tiger Cat yet. Thoughts on the Yamaha engine?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Y'all are probably getting tired of my indecision, but I do truly appreciate all the feedback from everyone..

At the last minute I found a new Tiger Cat with a 48" deck and the Yamaha 27HP engine, it's $9761, the best price I've seen on a Tiger Cat yet. Thoughts on the Yamaha engine?
The TC2 is a great unit and will serve you well on that amount of lawn. As for the Yamaha, they are so new that I wouldn't form an opinion based on the small amount of reviews and opinions. But I will say that every Yamaha product that I have owned proved reliable and well built.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts

Buy the mower, I've yet to see Yamaha fail on anything I've owned carrying their name. That's not to say anything man-made cannot fail, it can!

·
Registered
9,809 Posts

I talked with a friend today, actually my crop insurance agent, he and I go back at least 30+ years. He bought a new 61" Tiger Cat a year back, and he loves the mower. His brother-in-law is the groundskeeper for a university and advised him to purchase the mower based on his needs. He rave a great deal about how the mower would cut any grass and weeds, large or small, and leave it in beautiful condition.

·
Registered
24,992 Posts

You should never be lacking for power with a 27 HP engine over a 48" deck. Personally I prefer more deck width for the trim side ability, but for a HO, it should suit you well.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts