Lawn Care Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
Not sure why their rated at different horsepower?
All their efi versions have more power than their carbed engines of the same model number (ie; FX850 like I have is 27, but the efi version is 29.5). I guess being efi allows it to make more power through efficiency and maintain it at a steady level.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I think I have eliminated the Yamaha powered Tiger Cat. Scag has already moved on from them apparently....Gravely and Bad Boy have as well. Researching, I found not a lot of info about them but did find a some of complaints about them being hard to start and support being poor. Add the fact that they are made in China, and that is a non-starter for me....pun fully intended btw...

There are 2 Tiger Cats that I can get for the Simply the brave price (just above $10k)....the 48" with the 22 hp FX and the 52" with the 24 hp FT (carb version)....My concern with both of those mowers is that the hp ratings seem a little low for a 1000 lb+ machine.

The other contender is still the Grasshopper 226v....its $2k cheaper but a class size smaller but has Vanguard 26 hp and ZT-4400 hydros. Has a better warranty. I would think the cut quality is a small step down from the V2 deck of the Tiger Cat and frankly, the Grasshopper is kinda ugly....lol

·
Registered
18,851 Posts
Will you be cutting your grass regularly aka weekly or thereabouts? If so horsepower concerns aren't really a concern.

Looks are important too .

There is an ongoing joke here that actually holds a reasonable amount of truth.

What's your favorite color? Go with that because they all are basically the same thing.

I was in your position a year ago. I needed to purchase for my 3 acres of lawn. My top contenders were scag tiger cat and Ferris isx800, both 52 decks both ft730 carb.

I went Ferris for the suspension and because my favorite color is red.

I like the looks of the Ferris way better :)

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
I think I have eliminated the Yamaha powered Tiger Cat. Scag has already moved on from them apparently....Gravely and Bad Boy have as well. Researching, I found not a lot of info about them but did find a some of complaints about them being hard to start and support being poor. Add the fact that they are made in China, and that is a non-starter for me....pun fully intended btw...

There are 2 Tiger Cats that I can get for the Simply the brave price (just above $10k)....the 48" with the 22 hp FX and the 52" with the 24 hp FT (carb version)....My concern with both of those mowers is that the hp ratings seem a little low for a 1000 lb+ machine.

The other contender is still the Grasshopper 226v....its $2k cheaper but a class size smaller but has Vanguard 26 hp and ZT-4400 hydros. Has a better warranty. I would think the cut quality is a small step down from the V2 deck of the Tiger Cat and frankly, the Grasshopper is kinda ugly....lol
I like the looks of the GH, and it is NOT a step down in class. The Yamaha being made in china? First I have ever heard that, but if true, that would be a big no for me as well. I'd take the FT 24 over the FX 22 every time. 24 is plenty of power for that machine under all but the worst of conditions, or if you have very steep or long hills. My mower weighs 1430 lbs and it has a 27 HP Kaw on it. It is more than enough engine for 85-90% of mowing use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I like the looks of the GH, and it is NOT a step down in class. The Yamaha being made in china? First I have ever heard that, but if true, that would be a big no for me as well. I'd take the FT 24 over the FX 22 every time. 24 is plenty of power for that machine under all but the worst of conditions, or if you have very steep or long hills. My mower weighs 1430 lbs and it has a 27 HP Kaw on it. It is more than enough engine for 85-90% of mowing use.
Sadly, the Yamaha MX-V is definitely made in China, its labeled so right on the engine. I agree that the GH is not a step down in quality, but it size is more comparable to the Patriot not the Tiger Cat, would you agree?

Why do you prefer the FT over the FX?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Will you be cutting your grass regularly aka weekly or thereabouts? If so horsepower concerns aren't really a concern.

Looks are important too .

There is an ongoing joke here that actually holds a reasonable amount of truth.

What's your favorite color? Go with that because they all are basically the same thing.

I was in your position a year ago. I needed to purchase for my 3 acres of lawn. My top contenders were scag tiger cat and Ferris isx800, both 52 decks both ft730 carb.

I went Ferris for the suspension and because my favorite color is red.

I like the looks of the Ferris way better :)
I like the Ferris as well, just cant find many of them in that area...

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
Sadly, the Yamaha MX-V is definitely made in China, its labeled so right on the engine. I agree that the GH is not a step down in quality, but it size is more comparable to the Patriot not the Tiger Cat, would you agree?

Why do you prefer the FT over the FX?
The TC is a smaller machine itself, especially compared to mine, or the Cheetah or TT II. . It's been a while since I looked at a GH but I don't remember it being smaller than a TC by any means.

I suggest the FT simply for the HP. Both are commercial quality engines. The biggest difference is the air filtration system. The FX uses the Donaldson system while the FT uses Kaw's version of B&S's cyclonic air filtration system.

·
Registered
18,851 Posts
I like the Ferris as well, just cant find many of them in that area...
That's another important point. You're limited to what you can find. Prices keep going up and inventory gets less. All of the machines in question are high quality. Have you sat on all of them? Test driven them all? Perhaps demoed them on your property if that's possible? Any one of them feel more comfortable or intuitive?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Well.....It came down to the Scag Tiger Cat II and the Grasshopper 226V....I just pulled the trigger on the Grasshopper. I'm excited, but won't take delivery until August 19 because that's when we close on the property....

Thanks to all that answered my questions and offered feedback....

I will post a few pics when I get her...

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Well.....It came down to the Scag Tiger Cat II and the Grasshopper 226V....I just pulled the trigger on the Grasshopper. I'm excited, but won't take delivery until August 19 because that's when we close on the property....

Thanks to all that answered my questions and offered feedback....

I will post a few pics when I get her...
Congrats, nice choice. I think with Grasshopper you get more bang for buck they don't seem to advertise as much. Built to get the job done.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Agreed, you made a good choice!

I always felt like if Grasshopper would just change their colors a bit, people would get more into it. It's like the one mower that nobody knows what the heck it is whether they own it or not. They're solid machines, well built, and I would consider GH to be in the top tier when it comes to commercial mowers.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts