• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Need some good advice

KC lawn guy

LawnSite Member
I have been in the lawn and landscape buisness for 4 yrs now. I am also a full time firefighter, and the first yr I was in buisness with my father inlaw. Needless to say that didnt work, but the first yr we had 9 commercial accounts and 31 res. accounts. At the end of the season we split the buisness and went our seperate ways and he then started to bad mouth me to all the costomers. Now I have struggled to get as much as i can, now I have 1 HOA and 4 res accounts. I have done the door hangers and signs, I dont have the money to advertise in the phone book yet but I would like help on how to get more buisness. I would like about 10 commercial accounts and 30 res accounts. I put bids in for some town home neighborhoods and some small commercial stores, got my name in with the management companies but it seems that they only give to the bug companies in town.I guess i just need some advice. Thanks

bohiaa

LawnSite Fanatic
Looks like your starting form Ground zero.
not only from Ground zero. but a little below that. " with the ex-partner bad mouthing you and such.

sometimes when a partner ship goes bad. it can never be recovered.
I would look at it like this is my 1st year. and as you know it takes a lot to build up to.
you may want to get a mentor in your area. belive it or not the other LARGE Co's will mentor you.

OP
K

KC lawn guy

LawnSite Member
when you say "large Co's as a mentor", you mean from the big lawn companies?

OP
K

KC lawn guy

LawnSite Member
nothing, but i only work 2 days a week and 9 days a month. and to be honest i get bored!

OP
K

KC lawn guy

LawnSite Member
ya i have worked for kc fire for 8 yrs

OP
K

KC lawn guy

LawnSite Member
lol i get that alot from my friends that have a 8-4 mon-fri

punt66

LawnSite Fanatic
sounds to me like you need a hobby. If your grtting fulltime pay and have 5 days off a week you should be living it up.

OP
K

KC lawn guy

LawnSite Member
well........when i wasnt doing anything i would spend money, and hang out with the friends alot, at the bar. that pissed my wife off. and in the winter i hunt, alot! but in the summer i would get bored again and the money i make goes to home projects, new trucks, campers, guns and what not. i know i sound like a baby but its kinda hard to explain unless you do it. almost everyone on the job has another on the side