1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help finding dump kit

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnpropm, May 27, 2012.

1. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

Need some recommendations on dump kits for the truck. Its a 2000 ford f350 with the V10 engine. The box on the truck is 8W x 12L. Took some measurements and I can hold 10 yds of mulch. That's mostly what ill be moving mulch, brush, trimmings, maybe a lil dirt, maybe a lil gravel. I've been told to go with a 7 ton hoist but im wondering if I can get away with a 5 ton? Any other advice will be appreciated as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

What's the price difference from 5 to 7 tons? I have 3 dump trucks the newest is on a 4500 and its 12 tons. And that still labors to lift 7000-10000 pounds she has never refused so for that truck it seems to be a good fit. But on my two 3500s one is diffidently stronger then the other but both have refused to lift heavy loads. And while off hand I don't know their ratings id guess the weak one is 3 and the stronger one is 5 or 6. So if its not much more go with the heavier duty one you got a 12 foot bed and loads weigh a lot more on the lift up front then by the tail gate.

3. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

10 yards of mulch in a one ton tk......I think that may be a little off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. lawnpropm

Most of the yards around here run one tons I just got the truck only load I had in there was 4 yards and a pallet of sod. I couldn't tell it was in there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. lawnpropm

The Pierce Hefty Hoist 5 ton is $1,499 the 7.5 ton is $1,799
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dieselss

Not what I meant how can you fit 10 yards, into a pickup truck? I would have to see that
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

10 yards would fit if he had 3' sides but that is alot of weight on a 1 ton truck.

8. lawnpropm

Yea it has 3' side and did the math thats how I figured I can hold 10 yds. Just hadn't loaded it down yet
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. dieselss

I would love to see a pic. Of 10 yards of mulch in a pickup
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm assuming it is a dump truck as he stated the box was 8W x 12L.

Even still it's probably quite a load for a 1 ton dump truck, especially if the mulch is a litte damp or wet.