Need Some Help Pricing Yard Cleanup

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Wolf's Driveway Sealing, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Wolf's Driveway Sealing

Wolf's Driveway Sealing LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I'm going to do an estimate tomorrow for a woman who wants her back and front yards cleaned up. Haven't seen it yet but I'm guessing it's mainly weeding, maybe a little pruning or possibly detritus removal. Anyone have any tips on how to price that? She wants both front and back done.

PS I'm in Canada, so if your account doesn't specify where you're from please mention if it's in USD. Thanks!

2. MattZ28

MattZ28 LawnSite Member

Your hourly rate x how many hours you think it will take + disposal and trucking costs... You're really going to need to see it before anyone here can point you in a better direction

3. OP
    OP
    Wolf's Driveway Sealing

Ya that's kinda what I thought but I figured worth an ask anyway, if she doesn't want a price on the spot I'll give a little more info. Thanks Matt!

MattZ28 likes this.
  4. MattZ28

MattZ28 LawnSite Member

Did you get any more details yet?

5. Ryan-BCML

Ryan-BCML LawnSite Member

Yard clean ups I always tell them I need to walk through with them and discuss everything they want done and take detailed notes. I usually can give a price after the walk through and follow up with an emailed quote with all items listed in the services included. Most people may think it’s overkill, but just wait till you do one and the owner keeps adding things on that they claim were supposed to be included in the original price.
    As for pricing I usually base my price at $65 per hour for basic pruning, cleanup and maintenance with hand tools, push mower and trimming, $85 if I need to use any ride on equipment, and if it’s a really overgrown larger area, add in the cost to rent a brush hog. I also account for my time and cost to run debris to the yard waste depot.

I’m in Southern Alberta near Lethbridge as a comparison.

MattZ28 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Wolf's Driveway Sealing

Nice thanks guys! That's really helpful.

I went over there today and had a look, the place is huge (probably around an acre front and back), here's the details:

Front yard:
    - Extensive weeding and small shrub removal
    - Expansion of river-stone border for small garden (about 6' diameter)
    - Leaf-litter removal
    - Mowing

Back yard:
    - Mowing
    - Quite a few more weeds and small shrubs (wants entire fence-line cleared plus some throughout the yard)
    - 2-3 pretty small trees to remove, one to prune
    - Grass-seeding in about a 6' section
    - Junk-removal and transport (boards, 2-3 washers/dryers, 2 ladders, all in a shed)
    - Possibly the setup of a small vegetable garden - she didn't really say if she wanted me to do that but I'll add extra if she wants that done

She asked for a flat rate per day and not surprisingly wants a fair price for everything (I'm not with a company so probably can't get away with their prices).

Any input would be greatly appreciated, might be around 4-6 days of work. I'll try to post pics but my phone sucks so they're not great quality.

7. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

4-6 days work.
    So lets call it 5.
    $2400 USD

sehitchman and MattZ28 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Wolf's Driveway Sealing

That's about exactly what I thought except in CAD, but converting 2400 USD to CAD that's $3173. That's roughly $600CAD / day, do you think that's something a homeowner who's looking for a reasonable price would go for? I think she came to me because I'm local and not with a company. Would $500CAD be fair for both of us? (That's like $378 USD.) Thanks Mow-Daddy I really appreciate the feedback!

9. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Not knowing your local economy and your personal needs. $378 per day solo is not a horrible thing.
    It will give you experience and hone your prices better.
    Anything thats not in the red is ok, if you learn from it. Plus if you've got the available hour's I would do it.

E-town likes this.
  10. Mattmowsgrass

Mattmowsgrass LawnSite Member

I'm in MI, I charge 60 per hr for clean up, but give the customer an estimated time for a perfect cleanup, removing anything not fixed to the ground. then I ask if they want to fit the cleanup within a certain time limit. Then explain, I'll do that, but that may not yield the same results. People always give me a time limit, then they dont bother me about a few leaves or whatever. They chose how long I'm there. If I give them a fixed price, they have a fixed picture in there head of how it should look, and they always visualize a perfect cleanup. by charging 60, I can make 30 to 35, per hr after taxes.