1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by rfg1944, May 14, 2007.

1. rfg1944

rfg1944 LawnSite Member

I have a John Deere 855 with a mid mount mower. I need to take the mower off however when I get ready to disconnect the power takeoff I hit a snag. Appears there is some kind of round key inserted through the shaft that simply will not budge. It has nothing to grab on to and would not budge even with a punch. I bought this unit used and maybe someone cobbled up a pin. It is hollow as it had a wire tied though it aound shaft to apparently make sure it did not come out. My experience with these shafts on other units always had a push pin that slid to an indent allowing removal. Thanks

2. gbob6

gbob6 LawnSite Member

Are you trying to disconnect the mower end of the shaft? The end that is on the tractor PTO should have a movable sleeve which releases the shaft.

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Sounds like a roll pin to me. Put some PB Blaster on it and wait a while and do it again and after a day, use a straight punch and a BFH. if that doesn't work, get the drill out
    Good Luck.