Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Get one of those weed whackers on wheels... only a few hundred dollar investment and it seems like it would pay for itself on this job... With growth and rocks and washoutsthe way you described,,, a handheld string trimmer would be odd...
The weed whacker on wheels works well in those circumstances IF you walk backwards most of the time... give it a try... :)
Although it would cut the weeds great I think I would be fighting it the whole way to keep it from turning over. It's probably a 50-60 degree incline (holding my hand up in front of my face....it's steeper than 45 easily). And I definitely wouldn't want to fight it going downhill either

Actually the hedgetrimmer idea is probably better with weeds over 8" inches tall, and even though the string trimmer is light it really isn't as handy as it could be...
I have the Echo series attachment, with which I can movethe blade to be parallel with the ground and make pretty good time that way... But,,, at my age,,, I'd be taking a lot of breaks... I might do a few hours a day for a week or so...
Setting the hillside on fire would be the best way to go... :)

Make it worth your time when you price it. If you don't you'll be beating yourself up every time you cut it and that will make the whole job that much more difficult.

How about a self-propelled walk behind sickle mower or a brush cutter? It would be an investment for just that one job but if the job is priced right it could be worth it.

You could send one man out to do it. Of course it all depends on the severity of the slope if the cutter would even work.

Hopefully you are at the point with your business that you can walk away from a job when it doesn't feel right.

My wb brushmower will go up and down very steep hills, across not so well. The problem, there needs to be some room at the bottom and top of the hill to turn it. Even going slow it is alot faster than using a trimmer. The hedge trimmer is a decent idea, but the finished product would not be to my liking.
Posted via Mobile Device

If your going to get a brush cutter, get something thats at least 45cc! That way you can load heavy line on it for other jobs. That FS110 isnt much more than a heavy trimmer with handle bars.
I agree with the above. An FS250 with full harness and handle bars is the way to go if you are going to go the trimmer route.

I've got one account with a steep bank around a building. It averages about 30' high and 400' long, the slope varies 30 to 50 degrees. I spend about 3 hours to cut 1/2 at a time with a 32cc tanaka handlebar brush cutter with blade. The ground cover erosion control is clumps of "wire grass" that I'm not sure what the proper name is. The reason I cut it is it gets over run with trees and briars. I've tried my DR brush mower, and it looses traction about 5' up. I've attempted to go down one time, I had to let go as it was getting away from me. I really worried about getting injured if it slid back on me or I slid under it. My AWD Steiner looses traction going up also, and turnover worries me. String does not work, as the wire grass gets wrapped around the trimmer head and cutting it off is a time waster. So the blade is my method now. I wear long sleeves, long pants, WE Chapps, and a chainsaw helmet with face shield, high boots and a harness for the trimmer. I've been told I look like a village people person. The best thing to use would be a boom mower, but cost to bring one in is prohibitive. I recommend this type of work be done in the cool of the day, and just like using a chain saw, if you feel yourself getting arm or leg weary, stop, no reason to get hurt. Don't stand in one place long, the ant's will get you. Not a job I ever look forward to no matter how much money. I've never been able to hire help to assist, they try and give up after 15minutes.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.