Need Some Input On Used Scag vs New Bradley Mower

Hiltzy

LawnSite Member
Hi Guys,
First, let me say I've lurked out here & at plowsite for years. I almost always I find an answer to my questions...great knowledge base on this forum! This time, though,I have too specific a question, so I'm throwing it out here. I'm a detail guy, so my apologies if this post goes on and on. Cut to the bold type if you don't want to know my life story.

I live on a 2.4 acre rugged lot with about 1.75 acres broken up into three equal chunks of mixed terrain to mow. I don't have beautiful grass, I just keep it green and cut...it's country living where I am.

There's virtually no flat area to mow. It's a mostly a 10 degree slope with a couple of short (20'-50') but scary 20-25 degree runs that have a side slope, too, terminating with stone walls. Tons of kudzu/wild rose/blackberry surrounding pretty much everywhere else.

Anyway, been mowing it for the last 15 years with a 1991 belt-driven Snapper Commercial 48" WB, 14hp Kohler. I maintain it myself, still runs and cuts well, but I'm getting a knee procedure soon and I don't want to be walk-mowing all summer, so I think I'm going to make this the year I buy a Stand-On. My budget is $5K or less.

Seen a few nice ZTs in my price range, but I'm scared to buy a ZT with the hills and I don't have much garage space left for it.

I put around 60-70 hours a season on my mower...maybe a little more if it's a rainy summer, but never came close to 100 hours in a season.

Long story short: I was all set to buy a Bradley 52" Stand-On. The specs are good and the guys who run Bradleys seem to be really happy. It's $4500 delivered.

BUT - Today my local Scag dealer called and told me he had just finalized a trade-in for a 2010 52" V-Ride with 1,703 hours, but in great shape. I think it's powered by a Kawi 26FX, maybe a 23FX, either way it's a Kawi air cooled power plant. $3,300 for this mower. Dealer tuned it up, changed fluids, blades, belts, and whatever else it needed. I went and looked at it, drove it around, and everything looks good with it. Drives good, runs great, no leaks that I could see, hydros look clean, deck's 100%. No rust or anything, just normal wear.

SO - My gut tells me that 1,700 hours is right about where I would be starting to worry about big stuff going wrong...and it ain't cheap to replace the hydros or motor. BUT - My gut also tells me that I love Scags and they cut so nice.

HOWEVER - My brain tells me that for $1,200 more, I can still be under budget and get a brand new machine with a 26hp B&S Vanguard and ZT3400 hydros and a 3 year warranty for P&L. I have a shop that'll work on it under warranty if necessary. Yes, it's an off-brand, but I have faith. The specs are solid.

I'm stuck, Guys. Can you throw me some wisdom?

Thanks!

OP
Hiltzy

Hiltzy

LawnSite Member
Ugh, I should've out this in the equipment sub. Just reported to a mod. Sorry.

OP
Hiltzy

Hiltzy

LawnSite Member
Just gonna bump this.

I know it's a PITA of a post...and it looks like I accidently have it in two sub forums now...novice mistake, sorry.

I have to decide by morning and I was hoping to get a little more advice from you pros out there that run the commercial equipment day in and day out.

Are my fears justified about the 1700 hours on the Scag with the Kawi?

Really appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Evolution IX

LawnSite Senior Member
Me personally I would not buy a machine with 1,700 hours. It could be in phenomial shape, and I have seen several go over 2,000 hours without anything major, but it’s gettjng up there in hours.

Is there a Bradley dealer near you? I read that you will maintain the machine yourself but it is still good to have dealer support.

With a $5k budget you can find a fairly new, low hour (under 500) 52” Scag V Ride. Keep checking eBay and Craigslist. Not knocking on Bradley as it’s essentially a Bobcat Quickcat. I prefer Scag, Wright and John Deere Quicktrack.

OP
Hiltzy

Hiltzy

LawnSite Member
Me personally I would not buy a machine with 1,700 hours. It could be in phenomial shape, and I have seen several go over 2,000 hours without anything major, but it’s gettjng up there in hours.

Is there a Bradley dealer near you? I read that you will maintain the machine yourself but it is still good to have dealer support.

With a $5k budget you can find a fairly new, low hour (under 500) 52” Scag V Ride. Keep checking eBay and Craigslist. Not knocking on Bradley as it’s essentially a Bobcat Quickcat. I prefer Scag, Wright and John Deere Quicktrack.

Thanks! I appreciate your insight. I'm going to back away from the Scag.

I just needed some validation on my concerns with the 1700 hours...someone to talk me back from the making a mistake.

Greencuts518

LawnSite Fanatic
I would of preferred a good used scag but all I could find were beat up ones in my price range so I bought a new Bradley walk behind and if it's good to me I will upgrade to their standers as I heard they're coming out with a 36 but the 48 will be fine.

OP
Hiltzy

Hiltzy

LawnSite Member
I would of preferred a good used scag but all I could find were beat up ones in my price range so I bought a new Bradley walk behind and if it's good to me I will upgrade to their standers as I heard they're coming out with a 36 but the 48 will be fine.

Hey, let me know how you like it. I'm pulling the trigger on the Bradley tomorrow once I confirm a couple of details.

Was going to hold out for a Scag with lower hours, but I need to get a machine in my garage before I have knee surgery. Want it ready to go once I'm able to hop again.

I'll post reviews as I'm able.

Highland79

LawnSite Member
Without reading any of the posts, and having no opinion on the matter at hand, let me just say you have the best avatar on lawnsite!

OP
Hiltzy

Hiltzy

LawnSite Member
Without reading any of the posts, and having no opinion on the matter at hand, let me just say you have the best avatar on lawnsite!

I appreciate that, Highland79! Seemed fitting for this forum.

Also, I think I might have the same Chinese Crap pole saw you do. POS throws the chain like nothing I've ever seen.

Highland79

LawnSite Member
Mine never threw the chain, but the motor seized up randomly when trying to start it, jarring the hell outta my arm and busting my shin a couple times, 43 cc. Actually the chain itself was it's strongest feature. The extension locks never unlocked without disassembly, and I needed to add a ring of ducktape for the gas and oil caps to thread on tight. Still it made me good money, I'll probably get a similar one soon lol.

Top Forums