Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toro walk behind using a 15hp Kohler command engine with pull start. I just blew out another electro-mag clutch (only seem to get 2 years on one), but before replacing this time I thought I'd check voltage at the clutch plug. With the engine @3600 I'm getting 20V!! I can't find any info on that model, but my other WB with battery and elec start reads 14v at the clutch plug. 20v seems waay too high to me, so I got a new rectifier. After wasting the $40, my readings are the same. Can anyone steer me right here?? I think 20v is too much for a 12v rated clutch, which could be why I blow them out so fast. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If you dont have a battery that is fairly normal for that type of system. I know on the kawasakis that run an electric clutch without a battery they generally are putting out around 26 volts DC.

A battery system is a different ball game. You have a charging system that is charging the battery and replacing whatever the accessories are draining from it.

Your clutches are dying for other reasons. Do you engage them at half throttle? Do you throttle down before shutting the clutch off? Is the clutch adjustable for wear? Are you mowing 2 foot tall weeds or engaging in other brush cutting activities?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who responded so far - here are my answers. All wires and terminals are good. I put on a new "regulator", but just found out for the pull start motors it's actually an unregulated rectifier. I dowloaded the manual from Kohler, but it has nothing in it about the pull start models, pages and pages of testing for the battery units though. I had 20v with the clutch wire un-plugged, I didn't check it plugged in and engaged - didn't test ACV because I don't know what the reading should be. I usually follow correct engagement/dis-engagement procedures, and cut normal growth lawns.

If 20V is indeed "correct" for my machine, I guess I'm just wondering how much voltage the clutches can handle over 12 without damage? I'm sort of looking at this from the standpoint of a light bulb. If you put a 12V rated bulb in a socket that is putting out 20, if it doesn't blow instantly it will burn brighter, but have 1/4 the life? Am I off on this one, or do these clutches not really matter since you're just energizing a magnet?

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.