Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!!

as most of should already know, i just bought the toro ZTR (in my sig) back in may. i have had continuous cutting issues. i have taken the mower back 6 times to no avail. the 7th time i have taken it back, the dealer gave me a loaner, which is the same exact model as mine. IT DOES THE SAME THING MY MOWER DOES! IT HAS 0 HOURS ON IT!!!

so, i take pictures and call the dealer and let them know that this mower has the cutting problem too, which is, its leaving a strip of uncut/ pushed over grass in the middle of the stripe or the middle of the tire tacks. so, he says ok, let me call toro. so toro is making him take a 52" and a 60" out on a field test to see if the mower(s) has the problem. and i am dropping this loaner off monday and i will get to hear what toro will be willing to do for me. so if there is a problem with either the 52" or the 60", they will be recalling all of the mowers!!!!:weightlifter:

My main goal is to get a full refund of $6,766.23.

now, my second problem.

Once i get my refund (which im hoping will happen), then i have to go mower shopping again. my season is just about but not yet ended.

So, i will get $3000 Cash, and the other $3766.23 i charged.

My limit will be $3000. i was hoping that this mower problem would be resolved when my season was over so i could pick up a good deal during winter when everyone is hurting for money.

I will be driving by Nov. 9, so my ultimate question to you is, What should i buy/ do with the $3000. a mower is mandatory.

Should i get two walkbehinds, cause i have a full time $10 and helper that can mow with me to cut down time......or what??/

im kinda stumped on all this...:dizzy:. Since next year will be my most profitable season of all, since i will start driving, i want low overhead. i dont want to put a down payment on a $9000 Scag and have that $6000 left to pay next year......

Thanks, sorry for the long post. Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am confused, assuming you get the full 6k and change back are you only wanting to spend 3K on a new mower or is that just the down payment? You said you will be able to drive soon do you have a truck or something that you can use for hauling your stuff around. If not then my advice would be to buy an old work truck then after that decide what you have to spend on a new mower. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i have a truck and a trailer. i paid $6766.23 for my toro mower. i put $3000 down on the mower and charged the rest.

if i get a full refund, then i will be getting back my $3000 that i walked into the dealer with.

My question: my limit is $3k, what should i buy/ do???

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone?,..........

·
Registered
708 Posts
Are you thinking that you want something brand new, slightly used, or used/hard used.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Equipment should be tailored to the task.
That said, do you need or want a riding machine or would two walk behinds work?
Bear in mind $3K might get you one decent hydro walk behind or two used gear drive units.
However, it all depends upon the sizes of the turf sites you maintain.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thanks for all replies!!

First, my deck is not the turbo force and i can go any speed, and the deck will perform the same../ leaving the same strip. i usually cut at about 2-4 mph. slow....

Second, im going to buy used, unless i can find a hell of a deal at a dealer, which probably wont happen....

third, i maintain mostly 1 acre+ plus properties. 80% of my accounts are 1 acre atleast and up++++

so, im thinking that i get two walkbehinds. if i can find both hydro, so be it.
so that way, me and my helper can cut at the same time.

i really like scag. how well does the advantage deck cut in thicker grass. cause thats mainly all i cut. 10+ of growth.

idk what to do though...i could really use a 52"-60" rider and a 36" walk...

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you are doing large accounts I would be looking a hydro walk behinds, have you considered a stand on style machine?

·
Banned
4,461 Posts
Ok, thanks for all replies!!

First, my deck is not the turbo force and i can go any speed, and the deck will perform the same../ leaving the same strip. i usually cut at about 2-4 mph. slow....

Second, im going to buy used, unless i can find a hell of a deal at a dealer, which probably wont happen....

third, i maintain mostly 1 acre+ plus properties. 80% of my accounts are 1 acre atleast and up++++

so, im thinking that i get two walkbehinds. if i can find both hydro, so be it.
so that way, me and my helper can cut at the same time.

i really like scag. how well does the advantage deck cut in thicker grass. cause thats mainly all i cut. 10+ of growth.

idk what to do though...i could really use a 52"-60" rider and a 36" walk...
you might want to check CraigsList. Almost 99% the men are honest on what they are selling. Usually you can find a good deal on a ZTR. For ex: There is a 2005 Scag TT w/ a 61" deck with good hrs. selling for $5000. here in Kansas City. Its really a steal.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will consider anything right now!! idc. i just need a good mower, that cuts thick fescue like a *****.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Banned
4,461 Posts
# 2 looks like the best deal to me. IMO the other ones are crap. #1 doesnt have pictures and the mowers sound old. A Hydro 52" with a 14hp engine? The husqavarna was over priced and the other Scah had the Sh!t beat out of it. That ferris does look like a really good deal and the mower seems to be in great shape.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
are ferris mowers good?? i don't know anything about them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok.. thanks for all your help!!! i appreciate it!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
The first one sounds pretty good to me, are you pretty good with repairing things that if one broke you could rob parts from the other to at least have one good running one? If it was me and I had 3K to spend on a mower I would take option #1 get good stand on style sulky for the mower that dosent have a sit down style sulky, then use the extra grand or so to replace all the parts that would fail after heavy use on a Hydro WB example, Belts, Tires, Hoses. Then if I had enough money left over maybe buy a new bigger engine for that on mower with the 12.5 horse. But thats just me. As for the wright, if you have alot of gated yards I would just all over that wright if not then stick with a larger deck, once again JMO

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.