Need to find Employees In a world where they don't exist ?

rdavidson13

LawnSite Member
I have done this twice now with GREAT success so far. Last year, I was following a trash truck, well, stuck behind him kind of following, saw a middle aged fella and didn't think nothing of it, I was in a hurry so I'm watching for my opportunity to pass......then I see this guy chasing a pile of 3 Kleenex's down the street and got frustrated initially with it.......later that day I was thinking WHO does that ? Then I realized someone with great attention to detail and someone who truly does the right thing even when noone is looking because they hold themselves accountable. The next week I went to the same road and sat until I saw the truck, it was him again, I followed him a bit with purpose watching him put cans back neatly and his demeanor showed he was quite happy, I pulled up to him and asked him if he was happy with XYZ COMPANY and he said he was....I gave him a card and said if you ever want something different to call me, that we offered 2 paid months off yearly in Dec and January......he called me a few days later and has been the best employee EVER !! I did the same thing this Spring and landed another one.

If you can get in that $35-$45k per year pay range for your techs, you can pull from trash drivers, they are already working, so you know they aren't couch ridden sociatal leeches being fed from the system, they are used to hard work, all weather conditions, and what we do is far easier than they do and the quality of their daily work lives is 10 fold better. You can do the interviews BEFORE they even know you are watching them too.

Hope this helps some of you, I hate seeing everyone struggle for employees out there, Thank God, I have not....but without poaching trash trucks I likely would be too.

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
@rdavidson13

That is a great explanation for the purpose.

I am curious if the garbage truck was one of the newer models where the operator just sits in the cab and uses a joystick and the auto-loader arms/system reaches out and grabs the can and dumps it and puts it back? The guys I've spoken to running garbage trucks like that love the system. Makes their life easier when they don't malfunction or break, which seems to be frequent. Then just hopping out when the need arrises. But they also admit they hate other drivers and traffic. Plus incompetent people who just can't put their cans out correctly and tight areas.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I have done this twice now with GREAT success so far. Last year, I was following a trash truck, well, stuck behind him kind of following, saw a middle aged fella and didn't think nothing of it, I was in a hurry so I'm watching for my opportunity to pass......then I see this guy chasing a pile of 3 Kleenex's down the street and got frustrated initially with it.......later that day I was thinking WHO does that ? Then I realized someone with great attention to detail and someone who truly does the right thing even when noone is looking because they hold themselves accountable. The next week I went to the same road and sat until I saw the truck, it was him again, I followed him a bit with purpose watching him put cans back neatly and his demeanor showed he was quite happy, I pulled up to him and asked him if he was happy with XYZ COMPANY and he said he was....I gave him a card and said if you ever want something different to call me, that we offered 2 paid months off yearly in Dec and January......he called me a few days later and has been the best employee EVER !! I did the same thing this Spring and landed another one.

If you can get in that $35-$45k per year pay range for your techs, you can pull from trash drivers, they are already working, so you know they aren't couch ridden sociatal leeches being fed from the system, they are used to hard work, all weather conditions, and what we do is far easier than they do and the quality of their daily work lives is 10 fold better. You can do the interviews BEFORE they even know you are watching them too.

Hope this helps some of you, I hate seeing everyone struggle for employees out there, Thank God, I have not....but without poaching trash trucks I likely would be too.
Waiters and box store workers don’t make very much and have decent paperwork skills, work ethic and customer service too.
Just don’t pick newbies, they need to be established ones

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like he is the slowest guy in the fleet, guys like that wouldnt last in my area.

GRANTSKI

LawnSite Silver Member
So many businesses are thriving and need help because ppl are spending $$ so that means the majority are working. I was on the fence about hiring but I kept observing hardscape and even mowing crews that honestly seemed like they loved their job & what I noticed most was a “company culture” w those crews. They seem to work very hard but find ways to make it more fun or tolerable . & more like working w friends. Ex: I notice Fridays almost any Spanish work crew is playing music on site (I thought ya know what that’s a nice way to signal the end of the week and keep your energy up). Other owners treat everyone as a 2nd family and have bbqs and outings. My buddy is on a construction crew and when they are on the road they don’t just all hide in their hotel rooms eating microwave dinners… they all tailgate and bbq for diner. He loves his job and his co workers are like brothers. Obviously you gotta build the crew first but it’s something to keep in mind as you grow. Almost anyone I know that left a job wasn’t because of the pay … it was because of the work atmosphere

Top Forums