Need to find Employees In a world where they don't exist ?

JawT

LawnSite Member
Well I'm still trying to hire. My last "fill in helper" is supposed to be working until end of October then we'll I'm kinda in a bad position if I can't find anyone.

Thinking about trying indeed again. This never really worked when I've done it in the past other than lighten my check book. I've got a highschool guy that said he can work Christmas break which better than nothing.
Send a message to the Indeed customer service page, using their online form. Tell them to delete your account because you don’t want your credit card on there anymore. Tell them you had bad results and most of your “applicants” did not show up for interviews.
In a day they will send a note asking for more info, and apologizing. They’ll also offer a free $200 “credit” to keep you using the site. If they don’t offer the credit, reply to that apology email and say you’re really not satisfied with the results so far, and it seems too expensive to use without getting better results.

Now you’ve got $200 to throw at Indeed with zero risk.

And to stretch the money… if you reject resumes within about 24 hours, you don’t get charged for them, even if you have already looked at the resume and tried to call them.

Despite all this, we have not had good luck with indeed.

JawT

LawnSite Member
I've used indeed with mixed success. Craigslist is worth a shot too.

Probably the best way to find workers now is just poaching other companies employees when you see other work trucks. You definitely will not gain any friends going this route, especially if the owner happens to be with the crew.
I would avoid this. It will stop you from inheriting free accounts when those other companies want to change their service area or when they fold up. Best to keep relationships in good standing in my opinion.

JawT

LawnSite Member
Spray tech said he couldn't handle the outside heat anymore. Wasn't covid related but hit me at a time right before I had a few of my mow crew just disappear.

We are busy end of October through first part of February. We always turn jobs down. We usually get booked out about a month in advance and often can't get them all done even if we have a light rain season. The #1 problem I have right now is I can't help do much. Torn shoulder ACL. That then leaves me with one additional person who would have to dang near drag all tarps to the truck himself and possibly run the suck tube. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to handle having a backpack blower on that shoulder for hours at a time. Different than a few minutes for mow cleanup. I don't want to lose the winter income as it is a fairly good size of our business.
If you’re in Memphis, have you considered stopping by music venues and music stores? I‘d put flyers at the local music schools too. Musicians gig at night and can always use steady pay for daily work.
Talk to everyone on Beal St between sets.
Might be a way to get a few people who want 2-3 days a week…
Man i miss that place. We used to drive out there from Fayetteville Ark every couple months. I’m sure if you live there it’s not as fun tho.

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
I would avoid this. It will stop you from inheriting free accounts when those other companies want to change their service area or when they fold up. Best to keep relationships in good standing in my opinion.
Its a dog eat dog world. I planted the seed with a guy just yesterday.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
If you’re in Memphis, have you considered stopping by music venues and music stores? I‘d put flyers at the local music schools too. Musicians gig at night and can always use steady pay for daily work.
Talk to everyone on Beal St between sets.
Might be a way to get a few people who want 2-3 days a week…
Man i miss that place. We used to drive out there from Fayetteville Ark every couple months. I’m sure if you live there it’s not as fun tho.
I've actually talked to a few musicians and music oriented people. The worst. These are the pot smokers... nay... enthusiasts. With one exception this year a pH D student at the University of Memphis... Great worker while he was out of school this summer part time. But he has a kid on the way, gives music lessons at night. He needed the $. I hope he comes back this summer.

Top Forums