Need to find Employees In a world where they don't exist ?

JawT

LawnSite Member
Companies that don't do business across states lines and do not gross more than two million in revenue and do not employ more than a certain number of people maybe fifty? do not have to pay overtime if workers exceed forty hours. Or so I've read. I'd check that system with a labor lawyer too before I used it just to be sure. I can see how it is or was compelling. But people ive been meeting with lately pretty much expect at least twenty per hour in straight up pay. Getting there with "bonuses" would not fly with the entitled slackers I've been interviewing lately. One of them actually said a condition of his employment would be a company truck because he recently had to sell his car. Then he named the brands of trimmer and edger tools he'd be okay with using. Weeeeeird stuff going on right now.
Update on this… my state, MI, has labor protections beyond the federal ones, so a mowing / landscape company like ours that is under $2M revenue, less than 50 employees, and only doing business in-state, STILL DOES have to pay overtime for hours over 40 /wk.

JawT

LawnSite Member
Where did Islam come from?
Are you telling me Mohammed didn’t invent if?

is Christ not the author of Christianity?
These are good questions tho of course off-topic. To always have the mic-drop on this topic, just skim the book The Hero with A Thousand Faces, which is about mythology and religions. It ties together all the major religions over time, then explains why the heroes of all our books and movies follow the same Christ / resurrection story (which was of course based on other previous religions and myths). Neo in The Matrix is one of the most obvious examples of this. Even Rango the chameleon in Rango goes through a very clear “dark night of the soul” phase where he faces his own demons before deciding to be a hero. Good stuff:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Well I'm still trying to hire. My last "fill in helper" is supposed to be working until end of October then we'll I'm kinda in a bad position if I can't find anyone.

Thinking about trying indeed again. This never really worked when I've done it in the past other than lighten my check book. I've got a highschool guy that said he can work Christmas break which better than nothing.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Well I'm still trying to hire. My last "fill in helper" is supposed to be working until end of October then we'll I'm kinda in a bad position if I can't find anyone.

Thinking about trying indeed again. This never really worked when I've done it in the past other than lighten my check book. I've got a highschool guy that said he can work Christmas break which better than nothing.
What level of work do you have past October
I mean things you’re already committed to?
“Call ins” for fall clean up can always be told I’m sorry were full

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
What level of work do you have past October
I mean things you’re already committed to?
“Call ins” for fall clean up can always be told I’m sorry were full
Just curious
How did you lose the spray tech

Covid hysteria?
Better paying job?
Moved?

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Spray tech said he couldn't handle the outside heat anymore. Wasn't covid related but hit me at a time right before I had a few of my mow crew just disappear.

We are busy end of October through first part of February. We always turn jobs down. We usually get booked out about a month in advance and often can't get them all done even if we have a light rain season. The #1 problem I have right now is I can't help do much. Torn shoulder ACL. That then leaves me with one additional person who would have to dang near drag all tarps to the truck himself and possibly run the suck tube. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to handle having a backpack blower on that shoulder for hours at a time. Different than a few minutes for mow cleanup. I don't want to lose the winter income as it is a fairly good size of our business.

Gus McGee

LawnSite Senior Member
I've used indeed with mixed success. Craigslist is worth a shot too.

Probably the best way to find workers now is just poaching other companies employees when you see other work trucks. You definitely will not gain any friends going this route, especially if the owner happens to be with the crew.

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
If you aren’t in a large city you see all the company trucks and get a pretty good idea of who are the employees. I wouldn’t do it to a landscaping company. I would to a supplier or other labour business though.

Top Forums