Need to try organic weed control! Need help!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by jmlawns, Jul 23, 2017.

1. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Hold the salt imo save it for margaritas:)
    See if organic no selective can be used in your area?

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

hort101 likes this.
  3. WIgolfsuper

WIgolfsuper LawnSite Member

My 2 cents. All of the products on the market that "treat" weeds are total kill products, which means they are not selective and will kill all plants that it comes in contact with. I have been looking and digging for many years on finding the best organic products to bring to my customers. I have found that the best thing to do is make sure your customers expectations are aligned correctly before you make any organic applications. For instance. This spring I had a customer that learned about CGM or corn gluten meal. CGM can be effective is use correctly. However, CGM needs to be applied for 3-4 years before it can prevent crabgrass and broadleaf weeds. One application will not "do the trick" like many customer think. I have found that 90% of the people looking for an organic option think that it will be just as effective as regular products. I have found that CGM is about 40% as effective as a barricade or dimension would be. (after 4 yrs of applications) Again, just my 2 cents.

phasthound and Wye Oak Tree like this.
  4. phasthound

Setting customer expectations is key in any business. Organic/natural products work best when they are incorporated with sound cultural methods. "It's a process, not an event".

hort101 likes this.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Gravel driveways and walks? That use has the advantage of no need to be selective. Vinegar and soap should work. Alcohol should be effective. Bleach, also. Maybe spray paint in a color that blends--or at least is artistic. Try hand-pulling, or cut off with a sharp hori hori Japanese saw-tooth gardening knife.
    http://www.gemplers.com/product/217733/Hori-Hori-Tool-Cushioned-grip-Handle

And a gravel drive is a good spot for various types of propane or flame weeder tools. Don't bother with the leaves--the crown of the plant is the most sensitive part.
    Like solar? Burn the weed with a Fresnel burning lens.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnifier-Pr...8&qid=1505357916&sr=8-4&keywords=fresnel+lens

In hot weather, a day under black plastic might work. If its a hot weather plant--frost sensitive--you might have to resort to stacking ice cubes and insulation over the weed. This is selective; cool-season grasses can withstand most cold treatments.

And Barry is right--healthy grass--under optimum growing conditions, including height of cut, irrigation, fertility, and a dense-type high quality seed variety--will crowd out most weeds.

6. phasthound

Using Alcohol, Bleach or spray paint are not considered organic practices. :nono: Chemical herbicides are certainly safer than bleach.

hort101 likes this.