1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need to weld some expanded metal back on trailer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brucec32, Apr 30, 2004.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm tired of paying to get it done and having to drop off my trailer to get it done every couple of years, and obviously they're not doing a good job either. This is the 4th time I've needed this done, and I could buy a darn good machine for what I've spent paying trailer places to fix their own messes. I'm pretty gentle with the ramp, but they're just not welding it in enough spots to handle the weight of a ZTR. The damage came running it up one side to change blades in the field.

Is this something I can do myself? What type welder do I need to get for a simple repair like this? I don't need pretty, I need a decently strong weld. It'd also come in handy to have the ability to weld, even if imperfectly, on simple items.

2. RjCjR

RjCjR LawnSite Member

I used an AC/DC arc welder to tack weld the expanded on my ramp. I played around w/ a small mig welder, but it splashes A LOT and I just couldn't get a good weld out of it.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

www.weldingweb.com Or go to a welding supplier in your area and look at grabbing a millermatic 135 , or hobart handler 135, Both machines can do Fcaw (Flux-Core Arc Welding) Or Mig (Metal Inert Gas), Fluxcore is the ideal for what you are planning and it requires no gas cylinders. Weldingweb.com can help you more!!

KB Lawn Care likes this.
  4. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

Keeping the expanded metal attached and not bowed is a constant battle. I finally welded an additional piece of angle inbetween the angle on the ramp, just where the wheels of my mower run on the ramp. It is worth the extra weight. The expanded metal stays attached and the mower has more clearance going over the hinged end because there is no sag.

kemco, KB Lawn Care and Breezmeister like this.
  5. Peeklawnc

Peeklawnc LawnSite Member

Eastwood 175 look it up. Affordable , versatile, and I fab and fix all my trailer implements with it!

Eric502 likes this.
  6. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

I had extra angle iron to my ramp in the areas that take the most weight. Fixed it 10 years ago or so and looks perfect today.

7. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a flux core wire welder just for this purpose and reason. Never welded before in my life. 10 YouTube videos and a few hours of practice welding later and I'll be darned if I'm not actually sticking 2 pieces of metal together and they are holding. Not pretty I'll admit but after a little cleanup with the angle grinder and some primer/paint looks decent but more over it's holding together. Got it on sale at China tool for under $150..

Dawson and Breezmeister like this.
  8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

A grinder and some paint will make me the weldor I ain't.

dieselss and hort101 like this.
  9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Adding brackets where the wheels ride is the ticket. Also not all expanded metal is the same. You want heavy gauge raised not flat or the small slot type. I've found most gates to be light on the construction side just so they're not so heavy you can't pick them up. I've always beefed them up and added lift assists.

hort101 likes this.
  10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I have dropped all expanded metal and use angle iron spaced about 4 inches apart across the gate. Granted I have spit gated and each one is well over 100lbs, but my 1500 lb mower no long tears up the gate.

Patriot Services likes this.