need truck advice

GallucciLandscaping

LawnSite Member
I need some help on deciding which truck to buy...

I will be trading in my personal car for a new truck but don't know what to buy as the new truck is not a necessity. This truck will be a work & personal truck. Definitely going to be a chevy or gmc. I need 4wd, snow plow prep, power windows/doors/mirrors. Want a lighter interior to avoid heat from summer months.

My question to you fellow scapers, Which truck is best... Reg cab 8 ft bed, Ext cab 8ft bed, or Ext cab 6ft bed. Truck could be used day to day to either mow, pull hydroseeder, bid jobs, etc. Which truck would you pic and why?

Thanks is advance

ps. going for a gasser too

lawnpro724

LawnSite Silver Member
if you don't have kids or need room for 3 or guys a regular cab will be fine and cost much less.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
Are you looking at NEW or new to you. I would highly recommend looking into the Certified Used GM trucks. You will get a 1-year/12000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on top of the original warranty that is already on the truck (ie, powertrain). You can save quite a bit of money going this route, you will still get a newer truck (1-3 years old or so) and tons of money off compared to new.

I would highly suggest at least an extended cab. If you plan on carrying more than 2 people regularly, then your passengers will thank you if you get a crew cab. An extended cab is fine for short trips or just around town driving, but if you plan on taking the truck on trips or carrying people frequently, then a crew cab would honestly be best. I really like my extended cab, I can carry people with me if I need to, I have storage space inside the cab instead of just in the bed. I went from a regular cab truck to an extended and would never have another regular cab personal truck. If my truck were strictly a work truck then a regular cab would be fine, but I use mine as both a personal and work truck.

If you are looking at putting a plow on it, a 3/4 ton truck would definately hold up better than a 1/2 ton truck in the long run. Sure, a 1/2 ton truck is capable of plowing, but components will wear out faster on a 1/2 ton than on a 3/4 ton. You have to remember that 3/4 ton and larger trucks are designed with a little more heavy duty applications in mind. Pulling a trailer and plowing are not going to phase the a 3/4 ton as much as a 1/2 ton.

Now deciding on a long bed or short bed will require a little more info. For me, if I wanted to keep my truck in our garage at home, I needed a short bed otherwise it would have been just too long to fit. It also comes in handy having the short bed when I am parking, it is much easier to fit into parking spots in parking garages or busy/cramped parking lots with a short bed than a long bed. If you plan on putting a tool box in the bed and still storing things in the bed, then a long bed may be the better option as once you install a tool box into a shortbed, you are only left with 4.5'-5' of bed space as opposed to the original 6' or 6.5' bed.

I have a 2007 Chevy 2500HD (new body style), LT package (plus a little extra), 4x4, extended cab, etc. I love the truck and wouldn't have it any other way (well, I wouldn't mind a Duramax in it but the 6.0 vortec is awesome).

DuallyVette

LawnSite Gold Member
I would want a seperate personal vehicle. It's going to smell like work in the cab. Lots of work to keep it clean enough to drive for personal use. To plow, I like my regular cab dually (8 foot bed), but a 3/4 ton will be fine.

OP
G

GallucciLandscaping

LawnSite Member
Thanks guys for all your input. Definitely going with the 3/4 ton. Seems like the overall consensus is 8 ft bed. I'll prob get the ext cab too.

Mowerbrad- I'm assuming your truck has the 3.73 gears... Do you think that is strong enough to have a dump bed in the druck, pull a 7000lb (loaded) mowing trailer? I have a 3500hd 2007 dump with the 4.10 gears, just curious on the 3.73.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks guys for all your input. Definitely going with the 3/4 ton. Seems like the overall consensus is 8 ft bed. I'll prob get the ext cab too.

Mowerbrad- I'm assuming your truck has the 3.73 gears... Do you think that is strong enough to have a dump bed in the druck, pull a 7000lb (loaded) mowing trailer? I have a 3500hd 2007 dump with the 4.10 gears, just curious on the 3.73. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm jot Brad, but I can tell you this-
I have a friend that is in the construction business who pulls a 7X16' enclosed trailer, and hauls quite a bit of debris to the dump, so he buys a new 2500 HD every couple years. He always had the 4:10 gears until his last one which has 3:73 gears, and he says that while this one does the job, it works a lot harder to do it than all his past trucks with the 4:10's and that he'll make sure to get the 4:10's next time around.