Need Your Opinion And Advice On Starting Up?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Captain K, Aug 11, 2008.

  1. Captain K

    Captain K LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    I want to start Lawn Maintenace(Mow, Weed-eat and Blow on residential only..) in Kansas City.....

    1. Do I need to be licensed?
    2. Do I need Insurance and how much do everyone pay?

    As of this year I am now mowing 15 yards around my neighborhood with a just simple 21' Craftman, Stihl Pro Weed-eat and Stihl Blower....Don't have any of the above 2 question... I am taking your guys advice on not going in partnership in my last thread that I have post....I am 32 years old and a very hard working father to a 12 years old daughter and a husband to a hard working wife as will...I push my mower around from house to house and sometime in my Toyota Camry..Yes,u can me a poor-man lawn maintenace but that is not going to be my business name...I start out just the fact that I love to mow and be in the yard...Spring, come I want to go out of my neighborhood to this part/full-time what ever it takes of to make it happen....Thank you guys......
  2. Big C

    Big C LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,642

    You will need: A business license, insurance and a truck (looks more professional then a mower in the back of a camry) your current mower and trimer/ blower should be good to start...JMO
  3. Lawn Neophyte

    Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member
    Messages: 49

    DO you need a license? Only if you're doing commercial props. If you're just mowing residential props, then you don't need a license.

    Insurance. That depends. There are different types of ins. For example, you may get liability insurance, but if you're not commercial you may not qualify to insure your equipment. Just check with your city "laws" to see what you'll need.
  4. brandtb1

    brandtb1 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 153

    You need a business license and at least $300,000 of general liability insurance. I also agree that a truck would look better than the back of the Camry. I would not worry about insurance on the mowers.
  5. Captain K

    Captain K LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    Yea!! I know that I need but in the spring I am planning and looking for a truck now as of this minute but as of the rest of this season I am just just in my subdivision just 7 block around my house....Now, I really want to go out beyond subdivision; to be honest I really love doing lawn service more than just for the money.....Just want to live a American dream of doing what I love to do and enjoy it alot......
  6. dfklawn

    dfklawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 26

    you dont need a lic. you need insurance. stick to doing resid. yards and you can keep it down to $300,000.
  7. Captain K

    Captain K LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

  8. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    He is probably right.... you have to check your local municipality, and see if they actually require some sort of license to operate. Many cities and such require some type of permit or local license. Now, there IS what is known as a DBA. this is set up for reasons like establishing a business, - it registers the business within the county. this is required for many things such as creating bank accounts under the companies name, and applying for other necessary licenses, among other things. As it stands right now, you will be operating as a sole proprietorship - but this has nothing to do with the DBA - other than it won't be any type corporation. Now,...the insurance is something completely different. get that, regardless. It is cheap, and will cover your rear.
  9. Captain K

    Captain K LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

  10. hackitdown

    hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,610

    Regarding insurance...I would ask for quotes for liability policies for $500K and $1,000,000 as well. Some customers want higher limits. You also want to be sure that you have enough to cover your own net worth (your wealth).

    Just go down to your local city hall and ask about a license. In my town, I filled in a form, paid $20, and the deed was done. My state has no specific license for a landscaper, except applicators.

    A DBA is a method of identifying or naming a Sole Proprietorship. So legally, you identify yourself (and your business) as "John Smith, Doing Business As (or DBA) Captain K's Lawn Service". I have been a DBA for 6 years, no problem whatsoever.

Share This Page