1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Need your opinion!!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by over40, Jan 22, 2006.

1. over40

over40 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I'm wanting to get away from synthetic and go organic. But before I offering this to customers I thought I would "experiment" with my yard ofr a year or so.
    Poultry farming is very big in our area. Chicken litter is plentiful to say the least. I can buy 8 tons chicken litter, delivered and spread for $60 a load. The company assures me that all chicken feed used in the operation has been processed/cooked and will not sprout weeds. The litter is taken from chicken houses where the litter is 10 months to 1 day old. So I would consider this to be 100% composted.
    My question is would you try this on your own yard or not and why. Thanks for your comeents and help.

2. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you are trying to make your company a bit more sustainable and not as reliant on the petrochemical companies. Sounds like a great idea. Spreading chicken litter will probably work, but you'll need to do some trials to get it foolproof. I also use chicken manure based fertilizers on my own place too, but it is composted, no odor, and has a registered fertilizer analysis that makes it possible to calculate rates easier. Have some of it analyzed for consistency and nitrogen content, and then go ahead. I am not sure about the legalities surrounding it if sold unlabeled, maybe if you marketed it as a soil amendment and the customers liked the results, you will have made your money without breaking any laws; and they'll get their green lawn. I am aware there may be red tape if you are commercially marketing farm manure as a fertilizer without an analysis attached. Make use of loopholes, and don't call it fertilizer. Good luck.