Need ZT recommendations for 7 acre former pasture/lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kybourbon, Oct 26, 2018.

1. kybourbon

kybourbon LawnSite Member

I'm buying a 7.7 acre piece of land (tract 2 seen here) which was a former corn field which has since been cut, tilled, and replanted with alfalfa. It is almost completely flat with no trees. Wood plank fence on each side. I plan on building a house in the middle of it with an acre or 2 of "regular" grass.

For the grass portion and the alfalfa portion what zero turn do you recommend? I have read a lot about the Turf Tiger with suspension seat and also the Ferris with full suspension.

How often do you think the alfalfa portion of the property will need to be cut?

Screenshot_20180930-202932.png

Screenshot_20180930-202938.png

IMG_20180928_184227.jpg

2. greenlawn33a

greenlawn33a LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend the Ferris IS3200, 37 efi, 72 inch deck. Would give you the best ride and you won't be worn out after cutting. I have one I used for similar applications. Best decision I made in that regard.

3. kybourbon

Thanks for the response.

Anyone else care to offer an opinion?

4. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to cut 8 acres at our home. How often you cut depends on the look you are going for. We kept the grass cut every five days or so depending on the season because I liked that manicured look.

If you don't mind that "field" look, you could always cut an acre or two around your home and then bush hog the other acres a few times a year.

Best advice for a mower, identify the brands you think you like, and then have the dealers bring the mower to your property to demo. I started with a Gravely, then went to JD and the final mower was a Cheetah.

I liked the Cheetah the best because of the suspension platform.

After you demo a few mowers, you will know which one you want.

5. mowfool

mowfool LawnSite Member

I mow 12/13 acres of old pasture. 60% of it is pretty rough from old, overgrown pocket gopher mounds. I bought a Scag TT2 with the vanguard 35 hp big block. It handles everything fine and never bogs down on either hills or long grass, though that said since it so rough I'm forced to go pretty slow. Love everything about the Scag TT2 except the price. If I did it over again, I'd consider a Snapper Pro 200 series. It can do probably do 85% of what my Scag can do at a much lower price point. On either machine, a suspension seat is a must for pasture mowing.

6. kybourbon

Thank for the additional replies. Great stuff so far.

Money is not really a problem here... Well let me rephrase that: I'm willing spend money if it means that I get something that is unquestionably better and/or saves me time.

7. tech5201

tech5201 LawnSite Member
    from EC NE

What brands/dealers do you have within a reasonable distance from you?
    Include Deere & Kubota Ag. dealers with turf departments.

Dealer must have a competent service dept.!