Lawn Care Forum banner

Needy customers

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  nortonlawncare 
#1 ·
I have these customers that have to be home when I'm there and they have to help out. They are old, and nice but it messes me up and slows me way down. They keep adding stuff on when I'm there. I think they have the impression. That I only do their house? I have tried to explain to them that I can give them a block of time on fixed days, but they refuse to commit to any days that they are not around.
Anyone have any ideas for me to make this work?
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
I tried to get them in a solid time and I was going there today. She called me at 6 am to tell me not to come because she wasn't going to be home, and to come tomorrow. They pay really well but I need to get them off of the boy next door they are used to.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
heh heh. what about sweeping when i haven't edged yet. They are working up a sweat with that broom sweeping that carport out, and tell themselves "now, that looks good!" Then, here i come with the trimmer and all their work is ruined. They look at me as if to say "What The Hayl". All it takes is a quick blow lady. I realize they're bored , so sometimes, i let them work.

#7 ·
Just let them know you have a busy schedule and tell them how your going to do it. If they don't like it, they can move on and so can you.

I have a customer who does this....he wants side jobs here and there. But I can only do them when he's home. I always tell him when I'm free and when I can do them. If he doesn't like it, he can hire someone else. But I refuse to start on his "wish list" at 7pm.

Some customers who are unrealistc need to be handled by another company.

#8 ·
The first problem is letting them call you and dictate the date and time they want their lawn done. This is the first thing I would stop. The more you let them get away with, the more they are going to push. You just have to let them know you are busy and have a schedule to maintain and that schedule includes more than them. Of course do it in a tactful but firm way.

#9 ·
Boy, I've been down this road. Likely that they will be expecting you to do whatever they want done for the time that your there with them for the same money. As stated above, politely stand your ground on this and make it clear what will be extra. My guess is once you do this they will not be out there trying to get you to do addtional work if it's going to cost them extra. But I've been wrong before. My two cents.

Regards, Kevin:usflag::drinkup:

#10 ·
They would have to be paying EXTREMELY well for me to put up with that kind of stuff. Like 10x what the normal price would be. Otherwise, they can either get cut where it fits into the schedule or they can start contacting other companies. I try to be as nice and as understanding as possible but not even my wife dictates what the weekly work schedule looks like. There just comes a point where this type of thing goes from acceptable to just not possible given your growth and it sounds like you are just about there.

#11 ·
I make sure I am either so busy that I don't have time for it...
Or I'm slow enough where I do have the time.

It's always one or the other.

You understand, if I am slow enough where I have time for it, spending the time with the customer ensures that one day I will be too busy to have time for it.

I either have the time, or I don't.

Understand that, and you have it made.

#14 ·
They look at me as if to say "What The Hayl". All it takes is a quick blow lady. I realize they're bored , so sometimes, i let them work.
Eh, care to rephrase?:)

I have a couple older ladies that give me the request list when I show up. The are local gals and pay me well so I put up with it. I do tell them I'll do the extra stuff when I can fit it in. Rarely on the same day as a mow, if I am out to mow that day I am out to run a bunch thru, not play tiddlywinks.

#16 ·
when i have customers who like to come outside and give a hand, or even come outside and watch, i just explain to them that my mower has shot rocks through siding and house walls and i do not want to risk everything i own in case something like that ever happened to them. you just have to be up front my friend.
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
I had an older widow woman like this. She was well to do. Got the account from a friend who was too booked. Well I later realized why he gave her up. Started off line any other. Show up and do the typical full service mow. Then it became "Hey can you rake those magnolia leaves there"? Next week the garbage can and the rake were already sitting by the tree waiting on me. Then it was " do you mind putting this fire ant bait out for me"? This was a large property mind you. The moral of the story. ...I dropped her!
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
I told them today that I can only be at their house so much on a given day. Then I had to explain that when I show up to mow its not for an hour or two because I have more in line. And for the other projects they have to get a scheduled date and it most likely will not be when ever they are home.
They took it well but five minutes later they were at it again lol.
I gave them the bill for the work that has been finished and told them I will talk to them soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.