Negotiating used truck cost for work truck...

For you guys that have years of negotiating experience when finding a work truck, I'm looking for some pointers. I found a Chevy 2500HD I want to pick up within the next week if all pans out. For those of you that negotiate, do you use KBB or Edmonds True Market Value? True Market Value for this truck is about 5k less then KBB. Although from what I'm reading the dealer will try and throw KBB at me, although Edmonds TMV is more accurate for the average selling price. Any special tactics you use to get them down? Please share. I have a budget and this truck is about $1k above my budget if that tells you anything. I will be paying cash money, no financing, no loans, etc. Let's hear from the expert negotiators. :weightlifter:

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
They will tell you that kbb or edmunds is not reliable BC the economy is changing so rapidly. If they are higher say oh well, you paying to much doesn't mean I have to and walk out
Posted via Mobile Device

Southern Lawn Care LLC

LawnSite Senior Member
If they want to sale the truck then they will not haggle over a couple thousand dollars. I'd offer 2,000 LESS than their numbers. If your paying cash I doubt they will turn you away.

I'm prepared to walk out if they won't come down. I did my homework. Truck has 41k miles with the 6.0L. I'm going to start my offer low, not too low to offend them, but at the bottom end of the value. Then work my way up to my budget it small increments. If they won't go lower or meet me at my budget line, then I plan to walk.

I have the True Market Value printed out, along with four other vehicles listed within my budget. Looks like we'll see how it goes. I plan to run down there this week-end, test drive it, make sure all is good, and then go from there.

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
I try to buy at (or below) the NADA "trade in value". You can check www.nada.com. If you are buying from a dealer, there is typically at least $2K in wiggle room.

Let us know the year, model, cab type, 4x4 or 4x2, etc and people can chime in on value.

lumberjack1986

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm prepared to walk out if they won't come down. I did my homework. Truck has 41k miles with the 6.0L. I'm going to start my offer low, not too low to offend them, but at the bottom end of the value. Then work my way up to my budget it small increments. If they won't go lower or meet me at my budget line, then I plan to walk.

I have the True Market Value printed out, along with four other vehicles listed within my budget. Looks like we'll see how it goes. I plan to run down there this week-end, test drive it, make sure all is good, and then go from there.

Why not skip the games and start off with your real number, if it's the truck you want?
Posted via Mobile Device

lumberjack1986

LawnSite Senior Member
That entirely depends on the situation, and is hardly a status quo or fact. Dealerships are in business to make money, just like everyone else, they play the margins just like any other resale business.

On the last vehicle I bought, the dealership (Honda) made just under $800 on the vehicle's sale at asking price. Part of their cost in the vehicle (low mile Pilot) was running it through their shop for the inspection, fluid changes, cleaning, wipers, etc. The shop/dealership made more money on the work they did. They also made more money on the extended warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Forums