Lawn Care Forum banner

Neighbor/customer quandry

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Armsden&Son 
#1 ·
Well, i got what i asked for. I wanted closer customers, and now i have six right around my house. 2 next door neighbors, one 3 doors down, one across the street, one diagonally 2 doors down across the street, and one on the boulevard. For me, i've learned that i prefer to not get involved with my customers, so when i have to correct matters, it doesn't get sticky. Now the man across the street said his company hasn't been there in 5 weeks, and doesn't know what to do. I stepped in. Then he wanted to tip me by bringing me to lunch. I told him i was toast in the pm, and he asked "what about the weekend?" He's a questioner, and we're very different people, and i have a sense that he wants to pick my brain, and i don't want to get into it. I feel that he wants to fix me, because i don't have a girlfriend. He mentioned that since we're both bachelors (his wife is gone for 2 weeks), that maybe i'll get lucky when we go eat. I tried to be polite as possible, but i feel this is blurring the line, and i don't like it. The other neighbor across the wall, has asked me 8 times to go drink coffee, and i always have an excuse (i need a shower, i have more to do, etc.) He's going to ask me next time i cut. Right now, i feel like i don't want to get too close to these customers. I need my leverage and privacy. I know this might be a butt hole move, but i don't care to know my neighbor's details, and don't want them knowing mine. Would you handle it the same way? If you think i'm ass, i can take it.

See less See more
#27 ·
I agree, age means nothing but maturity does. there's a Huuuge maturity gap between a 19 year old girl who's in college partying it up, working a part time job, partially still supported by her parents and a 24 year old guy who has already graduated college, has a full time corporate job, owns his own house, and runs a part time landscape maintenance business.
not really. that kind of thing doesn't mean someone is mature. that's just the process of life people go through. not everyone that is 19 in college parties all the time or even at all.

i dated a girl that was 19 and i was 25. we were on the same level as far as maturity. remember girls mature faster than guys. :laugh:

#30 ·
Wow, I wonder how much that brick wall cost to install back in the day?... That is a beauty! Anyway, like somebody else already said.... Just be honest... Let these folks know that you work hard all day long and your time off is spent dealing with paperwork and trying to relax for 5 minutes out of the day.... A super busy, young entrepeneur's life is alot different than that of a retired cop. If they want to do business with you, fine. Will you treat them differently than your other clients? Most likely, but you sure as heck shouldn't charge them differently...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.