1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

new 2000 f-250

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evan528, Jun 17, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Grassmaster writes, &quot;Don't believe me, go find anybody that hauls horses around with the big gooseneck trailers & ask them. When going up hills pulling heavy loads the Ford Power Stroke Diesel passes the rest of them by far!&quot;<p>Thats nice but most of us in the lawn care business dont use horses we use mowers lol and I dont know about the rest of you but how fast a truck can pull a load is last on my list, fire it up, drive a half mile, park, get to work.<p>Too many people buying oversized vehicles they dont really have a need for is one reason why we pay $2+ a gallon for gas today.<p>Dont get me wrong Im sure its a strong truck but if you really dont have a need for such a heavy vehicle save your maintenance, fuel, insurance future dollars and go with something a little lighter.<p>Bill

2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Evan528, Sounds like to much money for that truck. Dealers in my area (MA) have been selling the f-250 SC diesel 4x4 for 25-28K fully loaded.<p>Chris

3. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys. I heard on a previous post that GM bought Isuzu. Dose anybody know if they are going to use the four cylinder they use in the cabovers? I mean for the pickup application. That little 3.9Turbo would be great in a pickup.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla

4. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

Bought a 2000 F-250 Super Duty 1/21/00 w/ 5.4 Triton V-8,5spd manual,4:10 gears no A/C and vinyl seats. A REAL work truck. The best truck I have ever driven and/or ridden in. this truck pulls like a champ.Gas mileage isn't that great but well worth it!!

5. OP
    OP
    Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

ive thought about getting a basic work truck like that (would be like 10 grand less)but since my truck is my personal automobile i want something very nice. i will not be putting anything in the bed of this truck...everything is going in the trailer so i dont risk any dammage.

6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris,<br>I think Evan was talking 4x4, you're talking 4x2.

7. OP
    OP
    Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

chris, i highly doubt your prices are correct.... the price for a fully loaded deisel f-250 withy extended cab here is 36-$37,000. If a dealer was selling one for 28,000 thed be losing a whole lot of money on each truck!

8. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

i have been looking at the same truck and you can get a 2000 f-250 7.3 powerstroke diesel with cd/fm/am, power window and keyless locks for only 23,000.

9. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby,<br>For 2001 GM will offer the Isuzu developed &quot;Duramax&quot; 6.6 liter V8 Turbo Diesel in the next generation HD 3/4 and 1 ton Chevy and GMC trucks. This engine was built by a voint venture between Isuzu and GM. It's supposed to have best in class horsepower and torque. If memory serves me right, it has 300 horsepower and 520 ft lb. of torque. I think one of the reasons for the high torque and horsepower ratings is the 4 valves per cylinder. It sure sounds like one stout powerplant.<p>Tim

10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Along with that engine you also get an Allison 5sp auto tranny. It by far the best truck drivetrain ever available in a light duty p/u truck. the other makes have had a great power plant for years, but the trannie were not up to the task. Now with the allison tranny Gm has completed the package.<br>In fact there is video of the new GM dragging the ford and dodge around by the bumper. Might be PR hype but still fun to watch. But it will cost you. If you dont plan on keeping the truck forever the diesel wont pay off to at least 100K or later.<br>I have read of the ford cackle and it only seems to happen at idle. <br>For longevity the Cummins is king. And people that hual for a living usually run the cummins engine in a dodge. With a few simple mods it will out pull the PS. <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org