1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

new 2000 f-250

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evan528, Jun 17, 2000.

1. OP
    OP
    Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i just got back from the ford dealer.... put down a deposit for the f-250. ill be driving it home on wednesday after its all detailed and ready to go! i am very exited...its a awsome truck. i am getting the truck for 400 dollars over dealer invoice wich seems pretty dam good to me ($29,600.) the dealer i bought it from also has a chevy place so me and the salsman drove the f-250 to the chevy dealer and parked it right beside a equal chevy 2500 because i couldnd make up my mind whether to go ford or chevy...after about 5 minutes i decided on the for f-250. a very similar truck options wise and price was almost identical, they both had a incredably smooth ride but there was something about the mean look of the ford that convinced me to buy it. tomorrow will take for ever to go by because the wednesday is the big day!

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Evan, is it a diesel?

3. OP
    OP
    Evan528

no, its a gas v8. i was very impressed with the power and aceleration when i test drove it. they had The exact truck as i got in a diesel but its not worth 4 grand more too me.

4. KirbysLawn

Evan, I'm sure the power is great, as was my Dodge gas truck. As I've stated earlier the extra $$ I spent on the diesel, I'm saving in fuel. Spend extra $$ each month paying for fuel on an engine with a lower life, or pay more per month for a engine that will pull like crazy and last a long time with the savings in fuel compensating for the extra expense. To me it was a no brainer. I fill up my diesel each week at around $43.00, I was filling my gas truck every 2-3 days at $26.00 when gas was cheeper. <p>Ask yourself the folling questions:<br>1. How is it at pulling a load? <br>2. How much weight are you pulling? <br>3. What MPG will you get when you are pulling your load. (8 MPG is what I got with my gas truck)<br>4. How long do you plan on keeping this truck? <p>These are questions you should have a good answer for.<p>FWIW, I bought my F250 used for $30,500 loaded with the Larait package and the PSD.<p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with you on the fuel bills Kirby, I didn't choose the Ford but my Chevy gas burner was eating my lunch.........money! I fill the Dodge up for about the same money, $39-42.00 and ride all week. Its the only vehicle I've ever owned that got 400+ miles to a tank. Gas is great for everything else but for pulling I wish I would have got the diesel a long time ago. <p>Homer

6. OP
    OP
    Evan528

kirby, the engine life diffrence is not all that important to me... i dont care if it dosnt last 15 years because i dont plan on keeping this truck for more than 4-5 years at most. Im getting rid of it while its still young enough to get very good money for it... then i get a nice new shiny one again!

7. GrassMaster

GrassMaster Senior Member

Hello:<p>Yep, for pulling, maintenance & fuel economy diesel is the way to go.<p>Don't know about you other guys, but I pulled quite a load, my trailer & 2 riders alone weighed over 3 tons. Not including 2 walks, 4- 5 gal cans or anything that I carried in back of truck.<p>I want a vehicle can get me out of the hole quick & one that has plenty of ass so I can stop it quick.<p>After I got my good out of it, I would then turn it over to the crews.<p>The reason gas is so high, is the same reason everything else is so high. Everybody charges just as much as the market can bare & then some.<p>If all the trucks on the road were Diesel, it would probably be $4 to $5 a gal.<p>Work Smarter Not Harder.<p>Buy Diesel, Save Big on Fuel & Maintenance!!!!!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

8. KirbysLawn

OK Evan, we warned you. When your spending $$$ on fuel every 2-3 days, just thinking how much more truck you could have had with that extra money, don't get mad. Hope you enjoy your new truck.<p>Here are a few links for you to read at the Ford-diesel website about gas v/s diesel:<br>http://forums.ford-diesel.com:8080/ubb/Forum19/HTML/001450.html<br>http://forums.ford-diesel.com:8080/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000056.html<br>http://forums.ford-diesel.com:8080/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000128.html<p>There's much more for you to read there but this will help some.<p>Oh yea, if you are planning on selling it in 4-5 years consider what the resale value will be gas v/s diesel<p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn

9. grassmaster wrote:<p>&gt;Don't know about you other guys, but I pulled quite a load, my trailer & 2 riders alone weighed over 3 tons. <p>Only a flatlander would be able to haul that<br>much weight. In the mountains we have to keep<br>the weight to a min. so we can climb 17% grades.<p>I have 3 mowers on my trailer mowing 135 inches of turf and everything including the trailer weights 2300lbs. <p>My 6 cylinder c1500 with 4.10 rear axle gets<br>15mpg loaded/pulling a trailer or empty (at 70 mph).

10. KirbysLawn

Lawrence, my trailer weighs 2800 pounds empty and my Great Dane Chariot weighs 1100 pounds. According to you, my one mower weighs 1/2 the total of all of your equipment. When I buy fertilizers, sod, or whatever I buy it by the pallet. <p>It's good you get that with your 6 cyl, again each person has certin needs, just trying to make sure he gets enough truck to do the job. <p>How would your truck do pulling the trailer, say 1000 pounds fert and 1000 pounds seed, or 2500-3000 pounds of SOD?<p>I KNOW my old Dodge 1500 gas would have tapped out and would have been dragging the ground.