1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

new 2000 f-250

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evan528, Jun 17, 2000.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

My last comments (I hope). I looks to me, that above your regular truck payment you are going to spend a certain amount of dollars extra, either for fuel or diesel engine payment. If the truck you are going to buy cost $29,600 and is financed for 6 years at 8.00% your payment would be $518.98 a month. If you add $4000.00 for the diesel engine your monthly payment goes up to $589.11 per month, only $70.13 a month!<p>Say you drive 1500 miles a month, with the diesel you get 5 MPG better (that's average for towing). With the gas engine you use 187.5 gallons of gas, at today's price ($1.52 gal) here in NC that would be $285.00 a month in gas. Now for the diesel, you would use 115.4 gallons of fuel, again, at today's prices ($1.35 gal) that would be $155.79. You just saved $129.21 in gas! OR you just put $50.08 in your pocket! ($129.21 saved v/s $70.13 for the additional truck payment Again, a no brainer!!!!<p>Please tell me which one makes since? You are either going to GIVE away $129.00 a month to the gas companies, or you are going to INVEST that $129.00 in your truck for future resale!<p>I don't know what else to say.<p>Ray

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I too have been considering buying a bigger truck. My reasons are simple, more pulling power, and better stopping power. The 98 Ram 1500 w/318 has been great for me except when it comes time to stop. My tandem axle trailer has brakes but they don't seem to do enough. I don't feel safe and that is the bottom line. Anyone know what a brake shop would charge to put bigger brakes on? I really don't need a diesel (but it would be nice).

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Barkleymut: If you have a tandem axle trailer with brakes on just one axle like most landscaping trailers, you can add brakes to the second axle for approximately $160 in parts. That would help a lot.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence

4. GrassMaster

GrassMaster Senior Member

Hello Barkleymut:<p>I hate to but in but, I think you need to take a look at those trailer brakes.<p>It sounds to me like something is not right with the trailer brakes. The trailer brakes if they are set right, they should be helping stop the truck.<p>With everything right, when you are going down the road & you put on brakes the trailer should help stop the truck!<p>You should with full load be able to stop the truck & trailer as quick or really quicker than a truck empty without trailer & brakes!<p>Honest, I would get the trailer brakes checked, it's very dangers pulling a load down the road & you have to depend on your truck to stop the trailer. You get easily get pushed into back of something or jack knife very easy.<p>If you are working on it your self, you can E-mail me & I can try to offer some help. <p>If you are not the one working on it, please do yourself a big favor & have it looked at SOON!!!!!<p>It's definately a safety issue.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

5. OP
    OP
    Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

kirby, i dont put 1500 miles on my truck per year because my route is very compact. JUst about all my lawns are within 5 miles of my house. Today i pick up my truck... ill let you no how i like it!

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

You will love it!

7. 1500 a year NO way.<p>Thats 30 miles a WEEK.<p>I only put 7000 miles last year on my truck and it was 100% used for work<br>only.

8. OP
    OP
    Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

sorry.... i meant i dont put 1500 on a month.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

heres more fuel to the gas vs diesel argument: If you are moving up from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton just to get a diesel you will not have the savings you think; everything for the 3/4 is more expensive, maintenance taxes insurance on and on.<p>Around these parts, the serious mowing operations hacve several crews using LD trucks, chevy w/t or ford 150s with 6 cylinders, the heavier trucks are dumps and arent used for towing mowers around. Only solo guys seem to be the ones buying HD diesels 4wd since they are also used for plowing.<p>Myself, I had bad experience with a 85 Ford diesel so for now Im sticking with gas.<p>Bill

10. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

The only question that I have (if anyone really cares)is; Why do you guys insist on these Country Cadillacs? A simple basic 4x2 or 4x4 3/4 ton (or whatever) truck does the same job for less cost and if you mow/landscape all day, you are going to trash the interior any way.Gas or Diesel is a matter of opinion both deliver power if geared right it is just a matter of what you like.I got my 2000 F-250 4x2 for (hope you are sitting) $19,025.00. Alot cheaper than $23k or 29k don't you think.