Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Second Annual Maryland Cookout and Competition will be held at 1:00 PM Saturday, September 6 at Blobs Park in Jessup Maryland.

The address is:

8024 Max Blobs Road
Jessup, Maryland 20794

Come on out for a day of fun and food at the Second Annual Maryland Cookout and Competition. Bring your best equipment for the competition because if it's anything like last year we will be splitting hairs to see who wins overall!

And speaking of winning Gambrills Equipment is giving away prizes this year.

First place: Stihl FS80 String Trimmer
Second place: $50.00 gift certificate
Third place: $25.00 gift certificate

The Competition includes:

Trimming Events:

Wide Area Trimming
Trimming Along A Border
Edging

Mowing Events:

Appearance (Don't take this lightly, this was the difference in winner last year)
Mowing Around A Triangle
Stripping And Mowing Efficiency
Mowing Speed
Straight Line Mowing
Fastest Mower

Hot dogs, hamburgers and sodas are on the house! You are encouraged to bring a covered dish!

Vendors should contact George Pusloskie at 410-969-3947.

For competition and rules info contact Richard Martin at 410-798-0432

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Googlie eyes eh?

The competition is as much a test of machines as it is man. If you show up with a 10.5 B&S powered 50" mower then it's highly unlikely you would win a number of the mowing events. But you could still win the stripping or mowing efficiency contest.

The stripping and mowing efficiency are done at the same time because you have to do both of them to do either of them. The stripping is self explanitory but the mowing efficiency needs a little explaining.

What we do is set up a specified diastance, say 100 feet. You then make a pass down the course and then come back while trying to cut as much of the grass as the deck is capable of. When you done we measure the width of your cut at 3 different point along the 100 foot course and average it out..

Now let's take our imaginary 50" mower. It should cut 50" down and 50" back for a total of 100" of cut. If you actually cut 99" of grass than you did excellant and would probably win that event. But of you only cut 88" then you need a lot more practice.

Last years efficiency winner was cutting with a 60" deck and had an average cut of 117". I cut at 116" with a 60" deck. Not bad for an old guy eh?

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Richard,

Did it happen on Saturday? I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

Was looking forward to pics and results.

:confused:

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, with everybody saying "would'a, could'a, should'a" and not actually showing up the sponsor and I looked at one another for an hour and went home. It's too bad not one single person bothered to show up. That one person could have taken all of the prizes and walked away.

Good Luck with your get-together Sean.... I wouldn't spend too much money on it though.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Richard, I am very sorry to hear that no showed up. This is one of the reasons you never heard from me on whether I would be able to attend or not. I truly feel bad for you having taken all of the time and effort to set this up and no one shows. As they say no good deed goes unpunished.

Gravely_Man

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank You for the kind words Gravely_Man.

Well... I will have it again next year. It will be at the same venue as the first one that we had so much success with. My house! Next year's will be hld on a Sunday if that helps anyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.