1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

New 997 Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by start2finish, Mar 23, 2008.

1. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

been a while since I posted, but wanted to give to 997 a compliment. good mower, clean cut, good clipping dispersion and decent ride for a z turn.

2. start2finish

I am still getting used to the weight of the machine, it is kind of like driving a honda accord around town and jumping in a 1 ton "empty" truck and trying to drive it like a little car for me now. I was used to the agility of a much smaller zero. (Turf Tiger 61'' SCAG)

But having said that power wise it is awesome, rides a little better than the smaller ones.

Deck has tremendous amount of suction, I have a lesser maintained area that we shoot skeet out of and I have always kept it mowed weekly but the missed shot gun shells (empty) were always just mowed right over. Never hit them I mow at 3.75'' That is with my SCAG. The deere sucks every single one up. I had to stop and remove them after two passes.

The deck also throws grass 15+ feet even in thin grass. I can't wait to get some lush thick grass to cut.

One problem so far. The front tires are presenting a problem. I turned up swell that I always have mowed. I guess I need to define swell. It is a gentle ditch that is graded to allow mowing easily. There is some transition here, but never presented itself a problem. Maybe Kubota was on to something with the swiveling front axle. Any way the front tire popped off the rim, rather I knocked it off. It was easily reinflated. No solution other than I need to watch transitions and how I approach them.

But I am pleased with the mower. My dealer told me that it would take some time to get used to the bigger more POWERFUL!!! machine.

3. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I am looking at purchasing a 997 next month. I was quoted $13200. with 72 inch deck. How is your fuel consumption? How much are you burning an hour?

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I was all set to buy a 997 but ended up with the new 850a with the 31hp gas. I like the 997 but the cost of diesel fuel is a deterent now.:dizzy:

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The old Kubotas, without the zero flat front tires would do the same thing, even with the swivel axle.

If it gets to be a big problem for you, just invest in a couple of zero flats.

Also, make sure you keep those front tires pumped up as much as possible. Seemed like when the pressure would get a little low on the Kubota, that's when it was most likely to pop the bead on those front tires.

6. start2finish

diesel is a bit more efficient, but that is a savings that would need to be realized over the entire useful life of the machine.

I have owned a couple of diesel pickups and this has made me a diesel fan. I know the fuel is higher but after 8- 10 years the diesel returns the investment if you took care of it. I would guess this to be a opinion thing as well.

7. start2finish

Thanks for the tips on the front tires