• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New Backpack Mosquito Mister Needed

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
Been using a Solo 451 for a number of years, primarily for mosquito misting. Yesterday while searching online for parts, yet again, I found out this model is discontinued. Yes you can still find a few new around for sale, but I am needing parts for the one I have and am realizing those are getting very expensive and harder to find even through solo usa. My main issue with it has always been the straps are awful (and when you've got 60# on your back its very very top heavy) and I have had to replace the plates and screws that hold the vibration springs and therefore the back plate to the actual unit many times, and need to again. Strap has broken more than once, and the starter pull has a very high ratio, I think is what I am trying to say, it is hard as heck to pull it but it spins the starter very fast so it does crank usually on the first pull. Ive had to replace the pull string more than once, it has just snapped. I am going to go ahead and order the parts but I want to save this unit as a backup and get a new one.

Soooo... I am looking at Stihl SR400 and the Makita PM7650H. Anyone run both of these and have any comparison they could give? Thx. For what it is worth the new Solo mister model 452 that has replaced the 451 just looks like a cheap build. I do not have any 4 stroke backpacks or hand helds. But I like that the Makita 4 stroke has a liquid tank that extends to the bottom of the backpack to make it less top heavy, I like that a lot, and it seems to have very good back and shoulder pads (I guess that goes along with the extra weight that comes with it). I use a mister a long in the summer so Im wanting quality, Im not looking to cheap out on one.

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
I own the large Stihl, I think it is the SR400. I have owned it for about 5 years. I only treat 4 to 5 properties per month, so not a ton of experience. If I had to do it again, I'd get the SR200 for the lighter weight. I might buy one now anyway, just to make life a little easier. The 400 is so top-heavy that I strain to lift it off the ground when full.

Sorry, no experience with the Makita. But that tank design looks great. It looks like half the capacity/weight is below where most tanks sit.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I have the SR200, I know it's more less a Home owner grade model but it does what I need it to do. My wife actually does the mosquito apps so I don't think she could handle anymore weight. I modified it by putting a lower back pad from a 600 blower to make it more comfortable

Peyton Wood

LawnSite Member
Been using a Solo 451 for a number of years, primarily for mosquito misting. Yesterday while searching online for parts, yet again, I found out this model is discontinued. Yes you can still find a few new around for sale, but I am needing parts for the one I have and am realizing those are getting very expensive and harder to find even through solo usa. My main issue with it has always been the straps are awful (and when you've got 60# on your back its very very top heavy) and I have had to replace the plates and screws that hold the vibration springs and therefore the back plate to the actual unit many times, and need to again. Strap has broken more than once, and the starter pull has a very high ratio, I think is what I am trying to say, it is hard as heck to pull it but it spins the starter very fast so it does crank usually on the first pull. Ive had to replace the pull string more than once, it has just snapped. I am going to go ahead and order the parts but I want to save this unit as a backup and get a new one.

Soooo... I am looking at Stihl SR400 and the Makita PM7650H. Anyone run both of these and have any comparison they could give? Thx. For what it is worth the new Solo mister model 452 that has replaced the 451 just looks like a cheap build. I do not have any 4 stroke backpacks or hand helds. But I like that the Makita 4 stroke has a liquid tank that extends to the bottom of the backpack to make it less top heavy, I like that a lot, and it seems to have very good back and shoulder pads (I guess that goes along with the extra weight that comes with it). I use a mister a long in the summer so Im wanting quality, Im not looking to cheap out on one.
Our TG branch used Stihl SR 450s. Reliable and easy to fix.

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
Until I change out skid tanks, come to find out the only place I can carry my mister well the Makita is too deep. Much too deep. I'm talking my 400 gal and going to a smaller 200 now that I have a ride on. I'll look into the stihl. I have not had good luck at all with Stihl. I've owned 3 pieces of Stihl equipment.

Brazillianguy

LawnSite Member
Has anyone tried say the 868 Invatech Italia ? Or the Tommahawk. It seems like the price difference between those and the Stihl 430 is pretty big.

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
Has anyone tried say the 868 Invatech Italia ? Or the Tommahawk. It seems like the price difference between those and the Stihl 430 is pretty big.
I have the Invatech Italia. Just purchased this year and only for home use. Works well for me, blows it 20-30?feet up into trees easily. I can’t really compare it to anything else, only mister ive ever had and only 1 season old. So far everything id expect out of one

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
What size tank is on that? I'm needing at least 3gal, 4 gal optimal. My current solo model will hold almost 4 gal when filled up to the rim. Very few of my properties do I need to double fill if I'm able to have 4gallons.

lawndude28

LawnSite Senior Member
I'd go with the big Stihl, the little one doesn't have enough power or capacity. The tomahawks intrigue me though, I'd like to know more about them.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Parts are open source for the Tomahawk sprayers. What I use for mosquito jobs is the high pressure backpack hydraulic sprayers. 500 PSI and 1 gallon per minute through an appropriate spray gun breaks the liquid up into a very fine mist.