1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

new biz idea

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by P.Services, Feb 5, 2008.

  1. P.Services

    P.Services LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,319

    tell me any thoughts on this idea....

    for a few years now ive wanted to get a big tent and have a serious produce market. along with the produce i want to sell 6 different color mulches, topsoil, compost, cobble stone and boulders, lots of perennials and annuals,hanging flower baskets, landscape fabric, pots, bailed and bagged trees of about 5 or 6 popular varieties, a few varieties of bushes. mainly this is all stuff that my company uses on a daily basis so its kinda like my personal supply but also up for sale to customers. i figure it would bring in a lot of business when people buy mulch then i can go install it or i can go plant the trees and what not. all the produce i will grow myself. im thinking the produce will be about 30% of sales and the rest to be about 70% of sales. i want to set the tent up and then all around have it elaborately landscaped with water features and color full flowers and trees everywhere, then have a stamped concrete walkway through the landscape into the front door. this gorgeous landscape might get me some great leads but all the plants and trees will be left in pots with the price tag so if they see some thing they want thats not on tables they can buy it right out of the landscape. ANY thoughts on this will help me a bunch so let me hear em!!

    im thinking about calling it picasso's produce
  2. luckydooley

    luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 329

    Awesome idea!
  3. P.Services

    P.Services LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,319

    i just see alot of green houses having a hard time so i dont know if i can make any money at it. i mean a basket of tomatoes is what, $2.00 or so. i dont know, i know a friend who knows a friend whos family owns a big stand but only does produce so im going to talk with them this weekend and see what they have to say about the whole idea.
  4. barefeetny

    barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 533

    a landscapers showroom... awesome

    one of my hardest problems is trying to convice someone that what they have is not what it should be...

    pics work, Taken a feild trip or two

    this would work if you had a reason to get homeowners in

    produce may only be the tip of the iceberg

    way to think outside the box
  5. P.Services

    P.Services LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,319

    the idea started as just a liitle produce stand to make some cash on, then i started to think well i could sell mulch and plants and from there i just kept adding other things.
    any other ideas or thoughts
  6. lawnkingforever

    lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,280

    Not a bad idea. I thought about selling pumpkins this fall in my front yard. Just for fun last year, wife and I planted alot of pumpkin seeds, back along the tree line of our property and we must of had a 100 pumpkins, we gave them away to friends and family. This fall I could put my spare trailer in front yard and fill it with pumpkins and sell them for 3 or 4 bucks a piece, thats lower price than Wal-Mart. Why not low-ball the evil empire.
  7. grass disaster

    grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,754

    i saw lots of people selling pumpkins around town. i can't see how anyone made more than $100. did't really look worth it to me.
  8. flakebortch

    flakebortch LawnSite Member
    Messages: 86

    I'm a newbie, waiting for my first year to begin, but I've read a butload of posts, and that's where this "experience" is coming from. I read a post in which a guy wanted to start up a mower dealership and run his lco out of it at the same time. The responses from the experienced guys were decidedly negative. Mainly, the sentiment was, "I'm not giving any business to my competitor." The concern being if you're doing mulch installs or whatever, you might be alienating comercial clients. Again, that's what I've gathered from other posts.
  9. P.Services

    P.Services LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,319

    i see what you mean but just about every landscape supply company around me is owned by a landscaper or is part of a landscape company.
  10. Willofalltrades

    Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,000

    I think that if you have the green thumb it will work... if it fails... you get to eat a lot of greens, have a blowout sale on materials (then charge to install them), then turn that tent area into a beautifully landscape pavilion that people can rent out... If I were a bank I would back you

Share This Page