1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

New Blower advise....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by chadflys, Mar 13, 2020.

1. chadflys

chadflys LawnSite Member

I'm partial to Stihl equipment. I have a BG86 handheld. Its been fine for just my home, but since Im also doing the mother in laws place now too who has much more leaves. I'm considering a backpack model.

What I have already...BG86 Avg. Vel=141, Vol=444 (round tip)

Considering:
    BR 350....Avg. Vel=167, Vol=436
    BR430....Avg. Vel=183, Vol=500
    BR450....Avg. Vel=186, Vol=642

Just from the numbers it seems the 430, and 450 are the ones with the more measurable performance increase. If I went the 350 route it would only be a comfort improvement for when I'm using it for longer periods of time.

Whats your suggestion from your experience?
    Thanks,
    Charles

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The 350 will easily outperform the 86, believe me. The numbers game is still mostly BS. The only way to know is to use any BP on the same stuff that you use other BP's on to compare accurately.

That said, of those three, get the 450. You will not regret having the power. I have said this before on here, but I have yet to see someone say I wish I had bought less power, but I see others say they wish they had bought more. Buy once, cry once. If you are going as far as the 450, get the BR600. It is a great BP and has a lot of performance for the money. Yes, there are much more powerful BP's now, and I own several of them, but the 600 I owned was a great BP, and was very light. I ran my BR800 right beside two 600 last fall, and until the pile got deep, they were keeping right up.

K c m, Cam15 and chadflys like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    chadflys

chadflys LawnSite Member

So what really is the advantage of the 600 over the 450? From reading reviews the 430 and 450 have had issues with the flywheel coming apart and destroying the engine. That is on the fewer side vs the majority that have been great.

K c m likes this.
  4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

The 600 is lighter and has more blowing power. It is a 4 mix engine (4 stroke that runs on 2 stroke fuel mix) and has valves, but they are easy to adjust if and when the time comes, and it isn't very often unless you run it a lot almost every day.

K c m, Cam15, sjessen and 2 others like this.
  5. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

I used to buy the smallest I could get away with. 2 yrs ago when I bought my new blower to replace my older Husqvarna 150, inwas planning the same, $300. It had lasted me 10 yrs. I ended up getting a Husqvarna 580 for $500. If it lasts me 10 yrs again that's a extra $20 a yr. After my first leaf cleanups, I was pissed I didn't do it yrs ago.

Buy the biggest blower you can comfortably afford. It's worth it.

Cam15, sjessen, fritowrdo and 2 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    chadflys

chadflys LawnSite Member

So now its between the BR600 and BR700. Why does Stihl have to do this. Volumn moves the leaves and the mph is good for grass clean up. Well both is needed. I guess the 700 cuz I can change the tip and get more mph. Is it worth the 3extra $50? Its not much comparing 500 vs 550, but damn I was originally only gonna spend $400. $450 at the most. They sure know how to get an extra $100 from you!

Charles

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Get the 800 and have the speed of the 600 and the volume of the 700 (which is exactly what Stihl designed it to do)

Brucey and Cam15 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    chadflys

chadflys LawnSite Member

Not doin that. I’m thinking BR450 or 600 maybe 700 if I can determine if the CFM will be more useful than the MPH...

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

For what you are going to use it for, the 600 is the better choice.

Cam15, Bumpmaster and chadflys like this.
  10. Wobbles

Wobbles LawnSite Member

If you're going with stihl, the only reasonable options for backpacks are the br600, br700 or br800. If you're using it commercially, get a new one. If you're using it domestically.. just get a second hand one. it will be fine.. and a far better option then the br350, br430 and br450.

What ever you do. dont fall for the electric start on the br450. It's gimmicky and doesnt really work well at all.

chadflys likes this.