New Career, want to keep the biz alive.

OP
rclawn

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
The time to try to run 2 businesses is when you don’t have kids, good luck trying to find time in the day once the family obligations pile up.
This. I've really simplified the biz as much as possible. No more hauling materials, everything gets delivered, dumpsters on site, leave my attachments on the trailer and park the machine in a garage ready to roll. My guy I have is great and capable, just know its gonna be difficult to get him to fully understand it the way I do

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I was about to start applying to med school when we had our first kid. I had gone back to school for 3 additional years to retake courses and then take all the science courses as both my undergrad and grad were biz. Did the majority of it at night and lawns all day. I quickly realized that for me and my wife me being in school then residency for about 10 years total just mounting up more debt and never seeing my wife and kid... I had to pass on it. Sucked. So I stayed with the lawns. I'd personally pick one and stick with it. Go full bore law or stick to the landscape. Just my 2 cents which don't mean much.

notoriousSTV

LawnSite Member
When u started the landscape business did how did you get started? Sounds like u jumped in the deep end made it work. Sell the business and go full time into being a lawyer. It will take some work and time, passing the bar exam u can be a public defender if need be and start there. You have the intellect and mindset to succeed. Go for it

ShowCaseLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
I was about to start applying to med school when we had our first kid. I had gone back to school for 3 additional years to retake courses and then take all the science courses as both my undergrad and grad were biz. Did the majority of it at night and lawns all day. I quickly realized that for me and my wife me being in school then residency for about 10 years total just mounting up more debt and never seeing my wife and kid... I had to pass on it. Sucked. So I stayed with the lawns. I'd personally pick one and stick with it. Go full bore law or stick to the landscape. Just my 2 cents which don't mean much.
Never to late to go back to school ! Never give up on your dreams!!

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
After a long seven years of post secondary education, I am going to be beginning my new career this winter. I am going to realize my dream of starting a law firm. Sparing the boring details, I am going to start small doing mostly traffic, DUI and other misdemeanor defense work, but I have ambitions of expanding into PI and more general practice once I can afford staff.

Anyhow, the plan was always to sell all my landscaping equipment- trucks, trailers, mini skid/ attachments etc. It’s all paid off and I am pretty sure with the used market I would be able to have $120k plus at the end of the week if I were to post for sale today. But I have found a really good guy this past year and he is convincing me I need to keep the biz going and let him run the show.

As you may have saw, I recently added an 01 duramax and a brand new trailer to the mix, at a cost of less than $9000 total. Finishing out this year regardless, we have plenty of work lined up too this fall. Without selling my equipment, I have enough saved to get the law firm off the ground. Aside from paying for all this school, It’s surprisingly cheap to open a firm. Your main asset is your brain lol. Rented space and I already have all the office supplies, computers printer etc. Only the advertising is expensive realltSo financially, it is feasible. Obviously I will need separate accounts because the whole trust account/ IOLTA account for the legal profession is VERY serious deal lol.

My big question is how to go about the business side of things as far as the landscaping. Is it better to keep him as an employee, or should I sell him the truck and trailer for him to become a subcontractor for me? Note: not the way the hacks do subcontracting, I know he needs his own equipment and control of means for production. He’s bright enough to eventually own his own biz.

We are working on his skills on the mini skid because I’m not yet comfortable enough sending him out there on his own with it. My big concern is the bidding. How in the world do you teach a guy to bid lol.

I’m leaning towards keeping him as an employee for 2022, then revisiting. I would like to have the conversation sooner than later because I think he will be more motivated if he knows I am wanting him to start his own.

I am really just worried about the time commitment. If I miss a deadline in landscaping, at worst I have a customer get annoyed and I throw them a bone and it’s all good. If I miss a deadline as an attorney I could get disbarred at worst. So, my priority is obviously the latter, but at the same time I have been in business over a decade and I am not looking to go out with a bad taste. So it’s gonna be tough, but I just hate to let it go. I genuinely love landscaping, having the equipment, running it etc. And I know I will probably not be fully booked every week with my new career, but I am hitting the ground running so I expect it to take off fast.

Not really sure what specifically I am asking, just a long wall of text haha. But taking any and all advice/ suggestions how I should move forward.
Congratulations on finishing law school buddy! That's a good accomplishment. I'd sell the business and move on to starting your new practice. You can keep your truck and not trade it in for a Mercedes though :cool2:

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Never to late to go back to school ! Never give up on your dreams!!
Believe me I thought about it more than once. At this point, yes yes it is too late. I'm 49 now. Even if I could immediately apply (my credits I'm sure are all expired and I'd have to start over) I'd be almost 60 when I could actually "practice" medicine. I make a good living doing this work. Probably more than a lot of docs do there first few years out on their own. 10 years with no income at my age just don't fly anymore. Back then I was 34 and about to apply to med schools. That's a big difference. It's one dream I'm going to have to pass on. I always wanted to be a surgeon (which would require even more time) and now my hands are shot from doing this for so long. Yeah I missed this boat.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
But that being said just like the op I am working on another business right now and have been for about the last year. One that doesn't wear on the body. I have just started pulling the many many triggers required for what I am looking at. In about a year maybe as much as 3 I hope to be making this "side venture" work for me. It's not like practicing law it's something I'm doing a few hours a day. Maybe it'll look like it is starting to for me then if it does I'll be 100% in and I'll sell the spray and lawn biz. Or maybe it just makes me a little money like it is doing right now (bar tab money) and that's all it makes. Doesn't take me very long and I can still roll with the lawn and spray. But I am trying to build it and not have to do the manual labor anymore. My views on all of this changed with covid and the inability to hire workers at market wage. I knew I needed to start to look for other things. And just for the record it's not any existing business.... So no MLM or the like.

Top Forums