1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

New Construction in an Imprelis treated yard.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Votum Gardens LLC, Jul 27, 2011.

  1. Votum Gardens LLC

    Votum Gardens LLC LawnSite Member
    Messages: 132

    Not sure if this goes here or not, but here goes. I have a major job that was due to start on Aug 1. Patio, water feature, rain garden, complete redo of existing beds around the house, and installation of a new bed at corner of property. However when meeting with the homeowner earlier this week I was informed that the lawn was treated with Imprelis. We've all heard about this product and the damage it has caused. However I am not finding out anything about new plantings or even it's effect on herbacious perennials. While I'm not doing anything with the three white pines that show the most obvious damage (they were slated to stay in place) I am concerned about the new plantings especially in the areas of the new bed, and the one house bed with yews showing damage. The plantings for the water feature and the rain garden I am less concerned with, due to the amount of excavation involved. But I have no idea what I am going to do with the sod and dirt removed. As of right now I have come up with three options:

    1. Wait a year from application. This appears to be the statement from the extension services for dealing with the damaged trees

    2. Leach the living crap out of the areas. I have heard one of things to do for suspected Imperlis damage was to water heavily.

    3. Major excavation of all areas, and bring in new soil.

    Any other ideas? Right now I am leaning to the waiting of a year, as this should keep me from screwing up anything on the insurance end of things.

  2. White Gardens

    White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,776

    I think that's your best option. If the HO still wants to go ahead with the install, then wait at least you hit the point of 60 days after the application was done.

    Before starting, make sure you are clear with the HO that you won't be responsible for any damage to plants that exhibit signs of Imprelis damage. Might want to get that in writing too.

  3. SDLandscapes VT

    SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 581

    Has DuPont made an official statement concerning Imprelis??

    I hear so much different information

    On the pesticide site--Imprelis is being pulled off shelves and everyone has a horror story

    Non-dupont fert/pesticide salesman--imprelis pulled, then back--a "list of application guidelines"

    Dupont salesman--back on shelves with new rules, he mentions several large companies in CT loving it. Apparently these companies are using this stuff everywhere (lawns, beds, etc) with fantastic results and no side-affects.

    I want to see university based research data explaining the variety of results and damages users are seeing. I know to take the sales guy's opinions with a grain of salt, but it is back on the shelves.

    Anyone seen this more concrete data that can explain these possibilities??
  4. White Gardens

    White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,776


    I haven't seen any concrete data and when I get the chance I might call the University of Illinois Extension again and see if they have any data.

    I've researched and run some chemical equations, and yes it has a residual, but should break down into water in it's final breakdown cycle.

    If the label is correct, after the days of residual that it states, it should be gone.

  5. greenandlush

    greenandlush LawnSite Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 1

    The half life is over 60 days, so be careful. You sure dont want the homebuyer to plant a garden for long time. Make sure to pull a soil sample and do a plant bioassay, even if it is a year or longer.
  6. Votum Gardens LLC

    Votum Gardens LLC LawnSite Member
    Messages: 132

    We (the home owner and I) decided to wait a year, evven though the start date of August 1st was over sixty days of application (April 12th). However in looking at the reciept, this is one LCO that Du Pont can claim applicator error on and probaly win in court. The application rate was way high, almost three times the recommended rate. I have no idea what this going to mean in terms of residuals. I just keep researching and hope I can do this job next year.


Share This Page