1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

New construction sealants

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by HawkZ28, Jul 22, 2017.

1. HawkZ28

HawkZ28 LawnSite Member

I'll start out by apologizing if this is the wrong area for this post, but it seemed like it would be a good match.

I work with one of the local General Contractors doing their maintenance at the school properties that they win the bids on. My point of contact told me that I should get into the sealant business for winter time, if not full time since I plan on adding a crew in the next year and that would keep them busy over the winter months.

What he described me was basically caulking around commercial windows and where tile floors meet the walls. It sounds like we only have two outfits in town that do this work, and they are booked way out in advance and it is hard for them and the other contractors to get them in in a timely manner. Both of the contractors that he named of course do not have websites for me to research what exactly it is they are doing or using. Any ideas on what he's talking about or what terms to search for? Every time I have searched I came up with the same contractors doing the sealant, or links to Home Depot and Menards for caulking guns and bottles of caulk.

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Almost sounds like an energy savings program to make houses more energy efficient:)

HawkZ28 likes this.
  3. HawkZ28

HawkZ28 LawnSite Member

He said it was waterproofing. Only windows I've ever done were residential with the foil flaps :)

hort101 likes this.
  4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Well if there in a brick or concrete wall I have seen a caulking between window frame and wall I don't know maybe make an off topic thread maybe more people will see it Thumbs Up
    Maybe a drive way sealing guy does it but sound more building maintenance imo:)

HawkZ28 likes this.
  5. HawkZ28

HawkZ28 LawnSite Member

May try that next.

These guys do new additions as well as remodels, and my understanding is that it's the waterproofing agent they use with the windows on brick and mortar.

That was my hope was that one or some of the driveway guys do this as an additional service and could help me with my research.

hort101 likes this.
  6. PavingService

PavingService LawnSite Member

This is a great idea to create income during the slow winter months where landscapers, construction works and asphalt companies near me business grind to a halt. This allows you and your crew to be inside during these months and provide year round income. Your best bet would to try to get hired on to one of these already busy companies to learn how to do during the winter months when business is non-existent. This would allow you to learn how to do the work and get some on the job training. You can then turn around and train your employees how to do this the next year.