New Dealer Service Second To None

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
Whitley Lawn & Garden in Monroe, NC has sold out and the dealership is now under the name of Whitley Power Equipment. I have always gotten excellent service from Chad Whitley the previous owner, the kind of service, I was extremely skeptical about ever receiving from the new owner.

I had the right-side hydraulic pump on my Hustler Super Z go out yesterday afternoon about 6:00 pm. I called the new owner (Ben McAlister) this morning at a few minutes after 8:00 am and explained that the pump had failed. This was the first time I had spoken with the gentleman, and have never met him in person. I will say I could not have been more impressed with the politeness and extreme caring he showed me. I was honestly surprised I would find him to be this customer oriented. There are few that possess the people skills this gentleman has to offer, in this country these skills are becoming harder and harder to find. I personally deal with many people that act as though they are doing you a favor when allowing you to pay for their services.

One advantage he does have over many is his family has been in the lawn maintenance business for many years. This enables him to understand how a customer thinks and feels. I am not in the commercial business but do cut 10acres or more per week, with most being cut every five days during the early growing season.

I had several acres that needs cutting today and would have never believed it would be possible.

Ben had my mower picked up before 9:00 am this morning, pressure washed the entire machine, scraped under the deck, sharpened the blades, installed new blade bolts (I requested) and installed a new pump, filter and fluid. The mower was delivered back to my house just after 3:00 pm. I don't believe there is a dealer in the country that would surpass this service.

I have nothing to do with his business, but can highly recommend that anyone interested in doing business with someone who will treat you with the up most respect and caring, to stop by and meet Ben in person.

StanWilhite

LawnSite Silver Member
Whitley Lawn & Garden in Monroe, NC has sold out and the dealership is now under the name of Whitley Power Equipment. I have always gotten excellent service from Chad Whitley the previous owner, the kind of service, I was extremely skeptical about ever receiving from the new owner.

I had the right-side hydraulic pump on my Hustler Super Z go out yesterday afternoon about 6:00 pm. I called the new owner (Ben McAlister) this morning at a few minutes after 8:00 am and explained that the pump had failed. This was the first time I had spoken with the gentleman, and have never met him in person. I will say I could not have been more impressed with the politeness and extreme caring he showed me. I was honestly surprised I would find him to be this customer oriented. There are few that possess the people skills this gentleman has to offer, in this country these skills are becoming harder and harder to find. I personally deal with many people that act as though they are doing you a favor when allowing you to pay for their services.

One advantage he does have over many is his family has been in the lawn maintenance business for many years. This enables him to understand how a customer thinks and feels. I am not in the commercial business but do cut 10acres or more per week, with most being cut every five days during the early growing season.

I had several acres that needs cutting today and would have never believed it would be possible.

Ben had my mower picked up before 9:00 am this morning, pressure washed the entire machine, scraped under the deck, sharpened the blades, installed new blade bolts (I requested) and installed a new pump, filter and fluid. The mower was delivered back to my house just after 3:00 pm. I don't believe there is a dealer in the country that would surpass this service.

I have nothing to do with his business, but can highly recommend that anyone interested in doing business with someone who will treat you with the up most respect and caring, to stop by and meet Ben in person.
Good for you....and him! It's a sad thing but you're right, service like this is WAY too hard to find. Nowadays you're lucky to get a grunt of acknowledgement when you walk in a place, and lucky if someone "feels like" waiting on you before taking a 20 min smoke break. Looks like he'll do well!

OP
puppypaws

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
Good to hear - how many hours are on the machine now? I didn't think you cut any hilly terrain with it.
No hilly terrain, 1027 hrs. on the mower and it still runs and cuts like a new mower. I had mowed 1 1/2 hrs. and everything was perfect, my wife began and about 45 min. in I saw her walking towards the house. I thought she may have gotten stuck, so I asked her, she said no I'm not stuck but the right side steering will not operate. I immediately had a feeling it was a pump because normally you would feel some change in the wheel motor before it goes out. I went to the mower and checked it over, turned the release valve loose on each pump and left it sitting.

The Super Z pumps won't hold up as well as the smaller pumps on slower mowers, but then again, I've cut a great deal more grass in 1027 hrs. when mowing at the faster speeds. There is a great deal of heat buildup and fluid transfer with the 21 cc pumps. My old dealer told me Hydro Gear claimed this pump was good for 1500 to 1800 hrs., but from what he had seen over the years 1000 hrs. was an average number of hrs. most went down.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Thats 6hrs, how far away do you live?

There are 2 things to the story I would like to know.

1. How much was the bill?
2. How could they clean the hydro system completely in that short period of time?

If they swapped the pump without cleaning the lines, wheel motor, hydro cooler, etc. I would be very leary on how much life is lost due to the metal filings and junk that a normal fluid change/filter would leave in there.

TLS

LawnSite Fanatic
Glad to hear you had a great dealer experience!

Not glad to hear you had a failure.

Not surprised, as there definitely IS an issue with Hustlers hydro system.

1000 hrs is nothing on a commercial machine otherwise built as well as the Hustler is.

Glad they came out with a "new and improved" hydro system, but we're the ones left holding the bag.

OP
puppypaws

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
Thats 6hrs, how far away do you live?

There are 2 things to the story I would like to know.

1. How much was the bill?
2. How could they clean the hydro system completely in that short period of time?

If they swapped the pump without cleaning the lines, wheel motor, hydro cooler, etc. I would be very leary on how much life is lost due to the metal filings and junk that a normal fluid change/filter would leave in there.
I live 20 min. away from the dealer, the bill was $932.00 but included a little more than just the pump work.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
I live 20 min. away from the dealer, the bill was $932.00 but included a little more than just the pump work.
The price was fair.

I just don't see how in 5hrs in the shop he could do all of the above and clean the hydro system our really well.

PLS-Tx

LawnSite Silver Member
That's great!!

I agree that good customer service is very rare.