1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tralfaz, Jun 26, 2001.

1. tralfaz

tralfaz LawnSite Member

I am interested in replacing a 14 h.p. Kawasaki engine with at least a 17 h.p. engine, maybe up to 20 h.p. It would go on a Scag Hydro walkbehind. Any suggestions as to brand and a good place that sells them at a discount?
    thanks

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 17 hp kawasaki on my scag walk behind and so far no problems at all. from what i hear, the kawasaki is a real good motor. i dont think you really need 20 hp do you on a walkbehind? my 17 hp seems to be more than enough power as it is.

3. IMHO a 16hp OHV Tecumseh would be a good choice. It is recoil and
    electric start and has an alternator. They are just over $500 in cost.

I have a 12.5HP OHV Tecumseh that starts on the first pull with
    no issues for the last two years. The 12.5hps go for $370.

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Locally at a dealership, price was $600.

5. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Awww he**, might as well go all the way and put a good Kohler 25 in there.........just kidding, I have upgraded to larger engines with minimal problems.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Tecumseh? if that is such a great engine, why is it on NO commercial mower I have ever seen? go kaw, honda, robin, even kohler, but I cannot bless tecumseh or briggs unless this is a limited use machine. Dave g

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

www.alamia.com has 17 hp Kawasakis including the muffler (not included at most places) delivered to your door for $699.00. This engine is equipted for electric clutch. By the time you add shipping, handling and a muffler to most other "bargain" engines they end up costing more.

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer just replaced my 14hp Kawi recoil start with a Kolher 18hp electric start. Nice change. He charged me $900.00 installed. (This is on my Exmark 48" hydro, by the way, plenty of power.)

9. tralfaz

tralfaz LawnSite Member

Richard,
    Thanks for the tip about alamia. I was just wondering, you said a 17 h.p. Kawasaki was $699 there. I saw it for $795. Did you see a special on it? Thanks.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

No there is not a special on it. The price has gone up since the last time I looked. Sorry about that.