New England/ northeast guys-seeding timing

RedSox4Life

LawnSite Bronze Member
Usually i start fall seeding and renovations late august or early September. We've been having a real mild summer here though, relatively cool temps...a decent amount of moisture. Even the lawns that tend to burn up every year stayed green. I'm thinking about starting my seeding projects early this year.....any thoughts? Obviously the more time the grass has to get established before winter the better. Could we still get a heat wave or dry spell? Would I be pushing my luck by starting now?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I say, go for it. Warm soil temps and cool rainy weather in August is ideal.
On the other hand--on the average--the weather will be average.
Be ready to accept average weather cuz it can happen. Have hoses and water timers ready.
Use plenty of seed; do not skimp on seed to save a few bucks. Daily high temps below 85 is about right. Warm weather is headed your way. We are supposed to have 88 on Thursday.

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
My $0.02 as a northern Midwesterner is you should be fine on overseeding. On new bare soil/ new lawns it would probably be better to wait until your normal time unless you have time to babysit it with respect to watering. Like you, I'm interested in what others think.

OP
R

RedSox4Life

LawnSite Bronze Member
I say, go for it. Warm soil temps and cool rainy weather in August is ideal.
On the other hand--on the average--the weather will be average.
Be ready to accept average weather cuz it can happen. Have hoses and water timers ready.
Use plenty of seed; do not skimp on seed to save a few bucks. Daily high temps below 85 is about right. Warm weather is headed your way. We are supposed to have 88 on Thursday.

We'll see 84 tomorrow...the rest of the week won't even hit 80 as a high. Rain Tuesday and Wednesday.

Top Forums