• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New Equipment purchase

cody417

LawnSite Member
I was wondering if there is a site to find out how much the dealers pay for their equipment ( for my info to negotiate a purchase ). I am looking to buy a few couple Exmark Lazers and would like to find a reasonable price to offer. Any feedback would be appreciated.

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
You might be willing to get a dealer down 5% MABEY. If the dealer goes any lower the that dont buy it cause he wont be able to keep his lights on.

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
We are lucky to make 10-15%. It does varry by brand and type. On low end mowers we have little to no room to work, bigger ones we can work a little. Unless its one we are paying intrest on and need to move, I would not expect a dealer to come down much over 5%.

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you are buying 2 he will prob be more willing to do a better deal.

ucfbrian

LawnSite Member
Every manfacturer and dealer has their own discount structure. A bigger dealer buying in volume is going to get an extra discount on top of the normal cost that every dealer pays. I buy enough that I get an extra 5% off on any machine that I order and 10% extra on parts. Typically most dealers get the same percent off on the top of the line mowers as they do on there entry level models. Like MO said, we go to make money to keep the doors open so we cannot just give machines away even though the economy is in the shitter, but if you take some time to work the dealer you can get a good price on it.

A dealer needs to make about $1000 on a bigger machine to make it worth his while to keep that model in stock. So on a $10,000 machine if you only have 15% discount that gives you $1500 to work with, factor in freight, setup time, sales commision, a tank of gas, warranty registration, etc, you have already took at least $500 out of your margin. Now factor in the rest of the dealers bills, lights, rent, interest payments, insurance, and the owner wants to make a litle off of it, and that all eats up another good chunk of what we can discount. If you can work it and get 5-10% off your doing good unless you can find a dealer that has something he really needs to move for a great price.

I guess I should be glad I am getting 20-25% off on my machines.

hornett22

LawnSite Senior Member
You keep beating dealers up on their prices,you won't have any.Dealer's are worth taking care of if they take care of you.

Dealers are a lot like electricity or hot water,you take them for granted until you need them and they aren't there.

GreenmanCT

LawnSite Senior Member
there's no point in a dealer selling a mower if they can't make money. that's the only reason they are selling it. to make money.
Posted via Mobile Device