New Equipment Recommendations

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hey everyone! I am running a lawn business in my neighborhood and it will be a year and a half until I can get a truck and expand, for now I’m looking into new equipment and seeing if y’all have any recommendations.

Right now I’ve got a Hustler XONEi Stihl KM111R with string trimmer, curved edger, and Pole Saw. I’ve got a BR800 and a EBZ5000 Redmax Backup, then I’ve got a shindiawa 235 String trimmer, I’ve got a 25 year old JD 10 Cubic foot wagon that is falling apart that I pull it around with.

I am currently doing all one to one and a half acre lawns that have lots of trees and most have serious ditches and slopes. I do lots of mulch jobs in the spring and fall and leaf cleanups, I also trim trees.

Here is what I’m considering,
1. upgrading my XONEi to a Super Z 60” for ($3000 extra)
2. Getting a new trailer, Polar 1500 or a custom ($500)
3. Hedge trimmer, either Kombi attachment or dedicated unit, would allow me to offer another service and for higher end customers offer the all in one deal to better compete with the other services (Roughly $350)
4. Used Four Wheeler, allow me to get around to non mowing jobs easier and tow more ($2000)
5. Backup Used 48inch walk behind mower and possibly for a friend to use if I decide to do a two man operation. ($2500)
6. Bagger unit, cyclone rake or hustler bagger for easier leaf cleanups ($2000)
7. Push mower for steep slopes and backyards ($500 or $1000 for 30”)
8. Striping Kit for mower, would help make the stripes clearer on half my yards ($250)
9. Suspension seat, only if I stick with my XONEi ($500)
10. Mower Jack to make blade changes and service easier ($200)
11. Darwin Grip ($50)
12. Tow Behind aerator ($800???)

If y’all had $5000 to spend for me, what would you choose, anything I missed?

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
So what is wrong with your current Hustler? You have an solid list of equipment already. I don't think I'd put money into upgrading a mower just yet.

How are you going to transport a 48" walk behind? I can see the utility of a 4 wheeler in your situation provided you won't get harassed driving it up and down the road. I can also see the utility of a bagger for your mower. Where would you dump the leaves out of a bagger?

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
Here’s the thing, you don’t really need any of those things. If you get some bush trimming jobs go pick up a hedge trimmer. Same with everything else on the list. I’m 17 so I was in the same boat as you just a couple years ago. What I learned is save as much money as you can, and when you need a tool for something don’t skimp on paying for nice equipment. But until you really need these things just stick that money in the bank.

OP
C

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Bronze Member
So what is wrong with your current Hustler? You have an solid list of equipment already. I don't think I'd put money into upgrading a mower just yet.

How are you going to transport a 48" walk behind? I can see the utility of a 4 wheeler in your situation provided you won't get harassed driving it up and down the road. I can also see the utility of a bagger for your mower. Where would you dump the leaves out of a bagger?

My current Hustler is at the point where I am faster than it, I could be mowing faster than it allows if I had a more powerful machine. Also, I’d like to just sell mine for a profit and then buy another that a couple years later I can sell for more. It just isn’t really gonna be costing me $3000 in the long run as I can get all or most of it back.

I would drive the walk behind around the neighborhood same I as I do With my hustler.

I don’t think I’d be harassed about driving a four wheeler, I would make it clear that it is for business purposes and I would put a quieter exhaust on it.

The bagger I could dump on 90% of my clients property... some even Like To use the decomposing leaves and such for mulch... with the rest I would dump in a neighbors lawn who has agreed to let me dump stuff there.

Here’s the thing, you don’t really need any of those things. If you get some bush trimming jobs go pick up a hedge trimmer. Same with everything else on the list. I’m 17 so I was in the same boat as you just a couple years ago. What I learned is save as much money as you can, and when you need a tool for something don’t skimp on paying for nice equipment. But until you really need these things just stick that money in the bank.

I understand your point. I generally I can buy for really great deals and sell for high and much of it costs me nothing.

Instead of a ATV, maybe look at a Toro Workman and a 5x8 trailer. Probably going cost more than your budget but they hold their value and you can sell iwhen you get your license.

I’ll check that out, what do you think is the price range on a used one?

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
You might want to check with the local or state police on driving an off road vehicle on streets or sidewalks. That way your clear on what’s allowed in your area from a law enforcement Perspective.

I’m not sure that towards the end of the season your going to get a premium price for your mower, because you’ll be competing with dealers offering their own”good deals” to reduce their inventory.

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
What’s the trailer for? I looked at the Polar, nice trailer, but ended up going with a 1500lb capacity gorilla cart.

polar is bigger so for things like mulch etc probably more useful. But I needed it to haul 25 yards of dirt. I would have blown past the weight capacity if I filled it up more than halfway anyway and I liked the more true “dump” feature on the gorilla cart ca the polar that just tipped back and most would have to have been shoveled out.

but I think it sits a lot higher. It also has a low speed limit when loaded. But for what I needed it for it was a champ. Your needs may be different. For mulch and things I’d take the extra space capacity of the polar

Top Forums