New Equipment Recommendations

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I would need to to transport mulch, dirt and my handheld equipment. Do you like your gorilla cart?
I do, great for what I needed it for and I filled that sucker with topsoil. But I drive slow etc with it. The polar probably pulls nicer? I never used one so I’m guessing. I think is lower so easier to put things in but dump quality is probably poor.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
Downside to that is not being able to service a bunch of new clients if he does a good job with the marketing.

I guess you could look at it like that. So here would be my comment back. He already does have equipment, it might not be the best but he does have it. If he goes into other neighborhoods the needs of those areas could be different than what he needs now for equipment. Equipment can be rented or purchased with limited advanced notice. Marketing can’t.

Last edited:

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I guess you could look at it like that. So here would be my comment back. He already does have equipment, it might not be the best but he does have it. If he goes into other neighborhoods the needs of those areas could be different than what he needs now for equipment. Equipment can be rented or purchased with limited advanced notice. Marketing can’t.
He's 14 and can't drive himself anywhere except on the mower. I agree he doesn't need much else since he hs better equipment than I do

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
And why not. Plenty of things that can be done marketing wise that don’t require driving.
It's wasting money if you can't service and support all the new leads that come from it.

He would be better off just sitting on that money if he already has it for a couple more years in my opinion.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
It's wasting money if you can't service and support all the new leads that come from it.

He would be better off just sitting on that money if he already has it for a couple more years in my opinion.

Even more reason to spend it on marketing and education for marketing. I’m not saying he needs to drop $5,000 tomorrow, but websites take time to create, and then gain traction. Education takes time. Content needed to make and design door hangers and post cards takes time. Logos, how about a basic design for branding and marketing on trucks when or if he does get one.

all I’m suggesting is that buying a bunch of equipment because a wallet is burning a hole in his pocket isn’t the best strategy towards ROI. It’s evident in the options of upgrading a seat on a machine. I could careless what seat is on our equipment. If he has a dream of building a larger company (not saying he has to) learning marketing early on is the best thing he could do.

It’s funny, most guys will spend 10 years or more growing a 1 million dollar company, a lot never even get to 1 million. Yet those that have been there, if they are asked to start over, building a second company, they know the path that must be taken and where priorities truly are, so those few people end up building company number 2 in record time. 2-3 years in many cases. Because they know the path.

Marketing is a long term play and on that mentioned path in a major way.

OP
C

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Bronze Member
Even more reason to spend it on marketing and education for marketing. I’m not saying he needs to drop $5,000 tomorrow, but websites take time to create, and then gain traction. Education takes time. Content needed to make and design door hangers and post cards takes time. Logos, how about a basic design for branding and marketing on trucks when or if he does get one.

all I’m suggesting is that buying a bunch of equipment because a wallet is burning a hole in his pocket isn’t the best strategy towards ROI. It’s evident in the options of upgrading a seat on a machine. I could careless what seat is on our equipment. If he has a dream of building a larger company (not saying he has to) learning marketing early on is the best thing he could do.

It’s funny, most guys will spend 10 years or more growing a 1 million dollar company, a lot never even get to 1 million. Yet those that have been there, if they are asked to start over, building a second company, they know the path that must be taken and where priorities truly are, so those few people end up building company number 2 in record time. 2-3 years in many cases. Because they know the path.

Marketing is a long term play and on that mentioned path in a major way.

I get what you’re saying about marketing but I really don’t think I need it. I’m gonna operate this business through college then sell or hand to a friend. If I were gonna build a multi million dollar business I probably would look into marketing though. I just feel like spending $3000 on a mower that will save me 15 minutes on each lawn and will hold its value is a worthwhile investment. I would look into a suspension seat as my mower is bare bones and these yards are extremely rough, I don’t want to slowly and permanently damage my body.

Brucey

LawnSite Silver Member
Seat comfort is definitely a valid concern imo. The comfort glide full suspension seat on my JD ztrak allows me to mow much faster than if I had the base non comfort seat. I would have to slow way down on my bumpier properties.

Top Forums