Lawn Care Forum banner

New Equipment

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  NELawnCare 
#1 ·
I was in the business with my father for @20 years, well, we have have been out of the business for the past 7/8 years. There have been alot of advances in equipment in that time. I am looking to restart the biz on my own, but am looking for some advice on new equipment.

We used echo trimmers and blowers, Troy 36" walk behind, Husq 21" walker, Snapper ZTR rider. What would ya'll suggest starting out with.

Thanks,
Reagan

#6 ·
being in business for 20 years you should know what is best for you as far as size of mower, 36,48 wb's or 60" ztr's. you should also remember that above and beyond mower brands is dealer support and a good dealer is much more important to me than brand of machine. to me, each machine is going to perform about the same. within reason, one might cut a little beater or have more power or ground speed, etc, but having a dealer that will stop what he is doing and fix your new mower when it breaks is priceless! perhaps you still have connections or a relationship with a local dealer and you might want to start there with his brands.

i love my bobcats, cut great, good power, good comfort features, and most of all, there arent as long as a scagg and i can fit 2 Z's and a WB in an 18' trailer! a friend has a larger LCO and he runs Scagg but hates how long they are and has trouble fitting the same equip in a 20 footer. exmark seems good, lot of guys run them here too, wright stander and sentar ( those stand on ZTR's ) are getting big here too. ive heard the great dane stand on mowers wont climb a curb! to each his own, good luck welcome back. hope that helps a bit!

#7 ·
being in business for 20 years you should know what is best for you as far as size of mower, 36,48 wb's or 60" ztr's. you should also remember that above and beyond mower brands is dealer support and a good dealer is much more important to me than brand of machine. to me, each machine is going to perform about the same. within reason, one might cut a little beater or have more power or ground speed, etc, but having a dealer that will stop what he is doing and fix your new mower when it breaks is priceless! perhaps you still have connections or a relationship with a local dealer and you might want to start there with his brands.
The 20 years started with my Dad in 1979 ( I was 9 ), but yes, I have a pretty good idea about sizes and equipment needed. I guess I was just trying to get a view from some of you pros out there, and what equipment ya'll would start with if starting all over again, kind of a "what if". I am new to forums like this and really like the info available from like minded people.

And yes, during that time, we had a great relationship with a local shop. Back then snapper was king. Looking at his shop nowadays they have alot of Lexmark promotion/support. I am not familiar with the Lexmark brand, but seems to be a good piece of equipment.

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming. New/Used equipment - looking at both, depending on hours/usage.

Thanks,
Reagan

#8 ·
Starting over I would seriously investigate the stand on ztr's.
Lesco, Gravely and I believe Wright brands are all manufactured by the same company.
Although I haven't demo'd one I am considering it now as the time has arrived once again to change out my fleet.
Regarding hand equipment, I personally recommend the Stihl 4-Mix. Quiet, very powerful, are adaptable to most trimming conditions, weight wise aren't bad and are extremely durable.
About 21" mowers, Ariens really dropped the ball when they redesigned their commercial mowers - the new one's suck big time. Height adjusters are impossible to use, the bagging system has been changed and they are made much heavier weight wise so fatigue becomes a real factor.
I just ordered 3 new Exmark 21" Metro's with the Honda motor.
Depending on your credit, check out Exmark's program you may just qualify for the $0 down/36 months 0%.

#9 ·
If you're buying new, I'm a Ferris fan. Ferris is offering 0% down and no payments for 6-months. Then it rolls into a 3.9% fixed plan. Can't beat that interest rate. I just bought my Ferris equipment under this plan.

But I agree with DARICEK LANDSCAPING above. Service from the dealer is more important. Whatever you buy, make sure you have backup equipment or a reliable dealer who will service your equipment to reduce down-time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.