1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

New eXmark Lazer Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Aug 2, 2005.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone see them yet.

Went to dealer yesterday to get a set of blades, and it was a guy I didn't recognize. He asked how new my Lazer was because the REAL new ones have a different blade with some sort of splined bushing and a larger center hole. And he said they're painted RED.

Anyone with a real new one?

2. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

yeah there is a thread on here about it somewhere... supposedly the "safety feature" is to not allow the blade to be overtightened, for instance when running over a stationary object like a rock....

Search for "red exmark blades"

3. ryno23

ryno23 LawnSite Member

my buddy has them on his 05 lazer z, good feature. just last week i hit a stump on my mower which doesn't have them and it overtightened the bolt and i had to get the bolt head cut off and heated so the rest of the bolt would come out. i wonder if they can be installed on previous models.

4. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

You would have to change the spindle shaft, the rest of the spindle assembly is unchanged.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've hit stuff before but never had a problem with the impact gun not being able to remove them.

Is the blade itself dimensionally the same other than the mounting hole?

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark mowers with a serial number beginning with 540000 and higher have the new blades.

The new blade is the same but the hole is .94 and requires about 60-65 pound feet of torque. It cannot work tighten.

The blade bolt should be only finger tight after the head is ground off. If you feel the need to use heat the spindle should be removed to prevent damage to the bearings. The reason for the blade "work tightening" was because the blade bolt was not tight enough when the blade was installed.

Oldtimer

7. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I've hit stuff before but never had a problem with the impact gun not being able to remove them.

I've never had a bolt on either my walk behinds or my Lazers that I couldn't get off with a breaker bar. But I am probably one of the few who use a torque wrench every time I put on new blades.

8. Oldtimer

Lazer 46,

I'll bet you don't have very much trouble with any of your equipment.

Oldtimer

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I set my pnumatic air wrench to the setting that I want and put the blades on. I measure the torque by taking it off with the torque wrench and seeing how much force is applied, that way, I can use a air wrench (much, much faster) and still get the right torque settings.

10. Oldtimer

??????????????????

How much torque is required to remove your mower blades?

Oldtimer