Lawn Care Forum banner
101 - 120 of 193 Posts
Discussion starter · #101 ·
Gonna try and get the mulch kit installed this weekend.

Aside from a few biweekly accts, I shouldn't have to worry about any more overgrown stuff now. The weekly cuts lawns are what I'm wanting to try it on - specifically the weekly lawns I haven't been able to use the Ferris on yet because they aren't large enough to mow while side discharging.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the mulch kit after using it.

Discussion starter · #102 ·
Ugh. Nothing can be simple.

Gotta take the deck off. Gotta take the belt off to do that. Need a breaker bar to do that. No breaker bar handy.

It's not a straight "bolt-on" job - need to drill holes in the deck and I need a drill bit in a size I don't think I have here.

The instructions are "vague" at best.

Sigh.

Had I known it would be such an ordeal, I would have just paid the dealer to install it.
Maybe I should have just gotten an OCDC and been done with it.

Ugh. Nothing can be simple.

Gotta take the deck off. Gotta take the belt off to do that. Need a breaker bar to do that. No breaker bar handy.

It's not a straight "bolt-on" job - need to drill holes in the deck and I need a drill bit in a size I don't think I have here.

The instructions are "vague" at best.

Sigh.

Had I known it would be such an ordeal, I would have just paid the dealer to install it.
Maybe I should have just gotten an OCDC and been done with it.
I got my dealer to get me a price on an OCDC. if its too much, im just going to make one. check out "Trimmer Trap". I'll let ya know the price...I know it will probly vary a little in price since you have the 36".

Discussion starter · #104 ·
I got my dealer to get me a price on an OCDC. if its too much, im just going to make one. check out "Trimmer Trap". I'll let ya know the price...I know it will probly vary a little in price since you have the 36".
Yeah, Trimmer Trap is the only one I could find that works with this machine.
I haven't priced one, but my dealer can get their products. Wanted to see how it mulches before spending more money on it.

Since I couldn't install the kit today I washed my truck instead.

Very nice mower, I really like it, does it have an hour meter I didnt see one on the control panel

Discussion starter · #109 ·
Here you go.

I think I posted pics of this lawn early on in the thread.
It's a biweekly. I hate it - it grows way too fast to cut every two weeks. I despise leaving a mess behind, but they are fine with it - they just want it cut. When I get another account to replace them, I'm going to part ways with this account so I can sleep at night. (you'll see why)

Click image to see Photobucket video. Can click in lower right for full screen)

I wish I had taken video of me cutting the REALLY overgrown stuff I posted pics of before.

Discussion starter · #111 ·
Update:

Now that the lawns are brown and dead, and there's no work to do, I think I'll figure out how to rip the deck off and install the mulch kit.
I now have the breaker bar and drill bit I need, so looks like I'll have at it.

Now we just need rain so I can actually have something to cut.

Discussion starter · #112 ·
Mulch kit installed.

I couldn't figure out how to remove the deck without screwing anything up (no instructions in the manual), so I figured out a way to install the baffle and blocker plate from below.

Turns out it DOES use existing holes in the deck except for two that must be drilled. The most difficult part was figuring out what goes where since the instructions included are for the hydrocut model. (uses same kit)
The TYPO in the instructions wasn't very helpful either. It lists a 25/64" drill bit under "tools required", then later it says to use a 21/64" bit to drill two holes. Thanks Ferris. (25/64 is correct BTW)

Now I just need some grass to cut.

Pics to be posted later...

Mulch kit installed.

I couldn't figure out how to remove the deck without screwing anything up (no instructions in the manual), so I figured out a way to install the baffle and blocker plate from below.

Turns out it DOES use existing holes in the deck except for two that must be drilled. The most difficult part was figuring out what goes where since the instructions included are for the hydrocut model. (uses same kit)
The TYPO in the instructions wasn't very helpful either. It lists a 25/64" drill bit under "tools required", then later it says to use a 21/64" bit to drill two holes. Thanks Ferris. (25/64 is correct BTW)

Now I just need some grass to cut.

Pics to be posted later...
Posted via Mobile Device

OOPS! I got the blade blocker installed, cost me $75 for materials + time. I would get the mulch kit for my hydrocut but read in another thread it leaves a strip of grass down the center of the deck and the dealer tried everything to fix it but couldn't. Ill post some pics later. WE NEED RAIN TOO!
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #116 ·
I finally used the Ferris with the mulch kit installed.

Me likey.

I only cut 4 lawns with it today but it cut all of them well.
One was a bit high (3 weeks since last cut) and it did leave a few small clumps in the thickest part, but overall, I'm THRILLED that I no longer have to map out a "plan" to mow a lawn.
"OK, now I can't go this direction 'cuz I'll throw clippings in the koi pond and I can't go that direction 'cuz I'll blow grass in the flowerbed..."

I just mow away, or I should say "mulch away!"

(happy dance)

Discussion starter · #119 ·
Lettering looks real good man, I really like the leaf.
Here's some useless trivia about that "leaf".

I created that leaf in Illustrator by hand, "tracing" it from a photo I took of it lying on the lawn at my very first client's house.

It's sort of fitting since that client was instrumental in my business startup.

It's not just some random leaf clip-art - it means something to me.

:)

101 - 120 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.