1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

new grandL 3430 needs backhoe

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by amobcp, Aug 1, 2004.

1. amobcp

amobcp LawnSite Member

I just traded for my new Kubota and am really thinking of getting a backhoe for it.. I would like any input on brand to go with and just how busy i could keep it with other tractor services

2. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman LawnSite Member

Ive got a L3130 that I bought a Kubota BL4690 backhoe for last year. I chose the Kubota backhoe because of its dealer and after sales support. This has been a good backhoe for me but if I was buying one again, I would spend a little extra and get the Kubota BH90 subframe mounted backhoe for the L series. The main reason I didnt go with it was because I like the fact that the BL4690 has its own pump and its own hydraulic system as opposed to using the tractor hydraulics.
    I cant really comment on how busy you can keep it except to say that $6000 to $7000 is a big investment if you dont already know how you will be using it.
    Knowing what I know now, I would have spent a little more and bought a used mini trackhoe or mini excavator instead of the CUT mounted backhoe. The same power and reach in a smaller package. Thats what its about when doing the jobs that the big boys with full sized backhoes cant get in to do.